• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pipits, France, Normandy (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hi everyone,

Are these all meadow pipits? (2, 3 - a juv?)
Spotted a couple of weeks ago in Normandy, France

Thanks
Alexey

Attachments

• IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2901.jpg
    IMG_2901.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3049.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3135.jpg
    IMG_3135.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 112
I also tried to look for a short curved hindclaw in the juv. pipit but failed.
Instead, the head pattern and bill size/colour suggest a Meadow. The complete pale eye-ring with no sign of a dark loral stripe breaking the eye-ring - both before and behind the eye (some Tree ambiguous).The pale submoustachial stripe is rather narrow - wider in Tree. Bill is Meadow thin and yellowish - pinkish in Tree. The lack of flank streaking is alright for juveniles.

JanJ

You're right Jan, once zoomed I can't see clearly the nail. I agree most of it looks Meadow but those flanks look too plain compared with the juv Meadow in Alström et al. It can be variable (as always!) in juvs I guess. Otherwise juv Tree on same ref. shows plain flanks, like subject. Kind of tricky bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back