• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question about the Crow family (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

A question I have always wanted to ask on here

What is the difference between a Common Crow, and a Carrion Crow. Are they the same species?

Are they the same thing? I see that some Crows vary in size. I thought the 'Common' Crow was slightly different or have I got it all wrong?

Technically there is no bird called a Common Crow, although in the UK Carrion crows are often referred to as common Crows, and in most of the U.K. they are the most common corvid, although Jackdaws can be so in places.

Members of the crow (corvid) family in the UK are Ravens, Carrion Crows, Hooded Crows, Rooks, Jackdaws, Magpies and Eurasian Jays .... Oh, and Red-billed Choughs!

Hope that helps!

Mick

Last edited:
Technically there is no bird called a Common Crow, although in the UK Carrion crows are often referred to as common Crows, and in most of the U.K. they are the most common corvid, although Jackdaws can be so in places.

Members of the crow (corvid) family in the UK are Ravens, Carrion Crows, Hooded Crows, Rooks, Jackdaws, Magpies and Eurasian Jays .... Oh, and Red-billed Choughs!

Hope that helps!

Mick

Thank you for your answer, Mick - now that has put my mind at rest. :t:

Last edited:
Hooded Crow was considered to be a race of Carrion (common) Crow until not long ago when it was awarded full species status.

A

Common Crows are the North American 'common' crow a different species to our Carrion Crow. Though you'd think American Common Crows were common here too listening to the soundtracks of so many British TV programmes!

Oh it would appear I'm a bit behind the times. It seems that the Common Crow is called the American Crow now. Could have sworn it was called the Common Crow though. Either way I wish British tv programme makers would use the right species calls!

Oh it would appear I'm a bit behind the times. It seems that the Common Crow is called the American Crow now. Could have sworn it was called the Common Crow though. Either way I wish British tv programme makers would use the right species calls!

I was watching something the other day set in Ireland and Scops Owls were calling in the background.

A

Unless it was a piece of electronic equipment (classic confusion sound for Scops :king:)
Possible, but the likeliest explanation for mis-placed wildlife calls/songs is stock sounds that somebody recorded in California decades ago, which have been used in all kinds of media ever since.

Scops in CA??? I remember something about a southern European frog sounding similar ....

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back