• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdsong ID - Amelia Island, Florida (1 Viewer)

KathyJB

We have been stumped by the sound of a bird heard just after sunrise; we don't hear it any other times of the day. I live on a barrier island off the NE coast of Florida, just below the state of Georgia.

I heard it this morning, and the fastest thing I could think to do was to grab my cell phone and take a video, so I could capture the sound. (Haven't boned up on doing just a sound recording yet.)

This link is to a 1-minute video taken at the window. The sound is a clear whistle-like single note, repeated 3 and sometimes 4 times.

I have tried going through spectrograms, but there are so many!

https://goo.gl/photos/3HZsdwVMidDkyiBj9

Many thanks!

Last edited:
It's a Tufted Titmouse. One of many vocalizations, I think this is a type of song, but simpler than the typical "Peter, Peter, Peter"

Andy

Tufted Titmice can drive you crazy with their varied vocalizations. While I was trying to learn bird songs, I had one in my backyard that did this same three-single-notes-on-one-pitch song exclusively for a whole season - from well-hidden perches. grrrrrr ...

Titmice.

Interestingly, it was originally one titmice, two titmice - derived from German meise - it was only later that it became corrupted to 'titmouse' by incorrect comparison with the rodent.
Fascinating! I never knew that. I am always interested in word origins. I wish I owned a copy of the OED.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back