• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Auction site gem picked up (1 Viewer)

Ozman

While visiting a certain well known auction web site recently, I noticed a pair of Rainbow 8 X 30 Binoculars (with original case and straps).

Ref No 465898 Field 7.5 No. 361776

On a whim I bid and won them for $13.00 AUD (+ postage).

When they arrived by post, my initial expectations were not too high regarding quality (I've had some bad experiences buying second hand Binoculars off the internet) but I still had some excited anticipation as I took them out of their packaging.

An inspection revealed that cosmetically they were about 85% (normal wear and tear - plus a missing pivot cap at the objective end).

Occular and Objectve lenses were clear with no scratches.

Not bad, I thought, for a pair of Bino's from possibly the 1960's (I'm guessing here).

Soon I wondered into my backyard and gave them a test viewing.

My first observation was, yes, there was the expected amount of haze on the porro prisms with the minutest suggestion of an ever so frail spider web of fungus (I could have used the word "neglegable" here - but I just felt poetic for a moment. Did I spell it right?).

Apart from that, I could not discern any problems with Chromatic Abberation.

The FOV was more than adequate (better than my comparable $15.00 AUD 8 X 30 Glory Binoculars) and the overall focussing and operation was very good.

Images were crisp and contrast etc was fine.

Basically, I was quite happy with my modest $13.00 purchase.

With my Wife's permission (yes guys - I need permission), I headed out for a day trip into the Victorian High Country (please Google) to enjoy the last of the Southern Hemisphere's Autumn sunshine.

I back packed my way into the forest as far as my seriously arthritic knees would safely allow and sat down to do some serious Binocular work (Didn't see any Sambar Deer all day until I turned around to go back and there was one standing there 20 meters behind me !!).

Essentially, I was very happy with their overall performance - even under failing light conditions as sunset approached.

I am seriouly considering have them professionaly serviced ($100+ AUD ?) as I believe the brightness and clarity can only improve once the porros are cleaned correctly.

So, even though, like the rest of us, I lust after high end Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski optics, for the time being at least, I'll stick with my little Rainbow Binoculars.

Nice post Osman.

Reminds me of an advert I saw a while ago where the wife was selling a pair of binoculars with the line "husband thought he wanted them" ;)

Mark Ohno lists a pair of Rainbows in his mini-bins catalogue here : http://www.miniaturebinoculars.com/page0013.htm

Sambar are too big to let them stalk up on you, take care :-O

I feel very lucky to live within reasonable driving distance to one of the most amazing areas in the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back