• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-legged or Caspian Gull? - Bucharest, Romania (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
I took this poor pic today (during an International Waterbird Census session :t:). I've spotted an "intruder" in this flock of Common Gulls... Opinions about its identity?
Thank you for help.

Attachments

• IMG_9946m.jpg
    IMG_9946m.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 199
I'd probably disagree Phil, and opt for Yellow-legged Gull. I can make out what appears to be a pale iris.

Hmmn? I see what you mean. Looked very dark.Now i study the head again, it is gently rounded. It also has the docile YLG look about it. I retract that. Blush!

Hello Cristian.

Good one this. The billshape - underwingtip pattern and smallish eye say´s Caspian.
However the large looking head and shape could suggst a YLG. The apparently pale eye doe´s not exclude a Caspian!

JanJ

Last edited:
Does look good for YLG on shape. I recently switched to using a zoom lens on my scope specifically because of birds like this.

Not always easy those adults.;)

Unfortunately I don't have more pics (when I took the pic I was thinking that are only Common Gulls in the frame...). OK, dosn't matter, it will be forever a Caspian/YL dilemma ;).

caspian for me. if they're at rest like this, head often looks bigger. p10 tip is all white. legs seem long (even we don't see the tibia) and not orangey bright yellow like in most ad YLG. pale eye doesn't exclude caspian at all! a pretty strong subterminal mark on bill also suggests caspian (in combination with large all white p10 tip).

caspian for me. if they're at rest like this, head often looks bigger. p10 tip is all white. legs seem long (even we don't see the tibia) and not orangey bright yellow like in most ad YLG. pale eye doesn't exclude caspian at all! a pretty strong subterminal mark on bill also suggests caspian (in combination with large all white p10 tip).

A convincing argument Lou but without further images, it's hard to be sure either way. Besides, legs can be very long on Yellow-legged Gull (including the tibia) and P10 can, ocassionally, be all white in Yellow Legged Gull.

Have a look at this bird......

Attachments

• subadgullv2.JPG
    subadgullv2.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
i absolutely agree, surely YLG can have long legs, an all white p10 tip plus a subterminal mark on bill - it's just not very likely. maybe the id should left only tentative though; i have seen however a bunch of of pics of cristian's bucharest winter gulls and this one screamed caspian to me.

as for your bird i can't say it is a michahellis from this photo. do you have a better pic ;) ? it looks fleshy legged.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back