• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 binocular queries - under ~£200 (1 Viewer)

gecko18000

Hi all,

After spending hours and hours reading threads on here and lots of googling, I am still somewhat confused about what binoculars to go for.

I currently have Opticron Discovery 8x42s which are damaged, and as there is a flat charge for repairs it seems that I may as well just get a new pair and keep them as spares, or sell them for spares/repair.

I'm on a really tight budget and ideally don't want to spend more than about £150 but could probably go up to about £200, and am happy to buy second hand too.

Obviously some aspects of binoculars are down to personal preference but I've read so many conflicting things. At the moment I'm looking at the following three pairs, but am open to other suggestions. The binoculars are primarily for birding but I require close focus for insects, too.

Vortex Diamondback 8x42
Nikon Monarch 5 8x42
Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 8x42

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any solid suggestions-all are great bins. I like the Diamondback. I'm sure the Nikon is great but I personally don't buy Nikon any more (yeah...I know...I have a personal issue). The Bushnell in a previous version was a nice bin and I'm sure the optics are even better in the current version but I didn't care for the looks. I hope this can be of SOME use to you...sorry if it isn't...but AGAIN welcome.

David

Welcome to the forum.

There is much to like about each of those binoculars, but I wouldn't say any of them tick all the boxes. The Bushnell probably gets closest on view with it's wide field and view and sharpness, but it does seem fairly prone to durability issues. The Monarch 5 is a fairly new model but generally the Monarchs have a good track record. The view is quite narrow but what you get is pretty good. Having said that the cheaper Prostaff 7 I thought sharper, but that's an otherwise more basic design. I know the Diamondback has a number of fans on the forum but I think it's looking a bit dated these days.

The Vanguard Endeavour ED 8x42 has found a number of fans on the forum. It's getting a little big for my tastes but it certainly offers a lot for the money. Prices fluctuate a lot with various promotions and it's replacement by a MkII has already been announced, but I spotted a £203 price tag just now. Worth the extra IMO.

David

Last edited:
I bought the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42s a few months back for under £200 and they are brilliant! I'm sure the 8x42s would be just as good.

Some of the reviews I read before buying spoke of potential build issues, especially when it comes to the dioptre ring but mine have been through some rough and tumble over the last few months and are showing no signs of anything other than great build quality

A note on the Diamondbacks: on my evaluation in March, they were a lotr better in
2014, specifically on front irising and contrast, than they were in mid-2013.
I think they have had an upgrade.

The Diamondback is a reliable, ruggedly constructed binocular with a wide Field of View and good eye relief. It's brightness was upgraded not too long ago and the Vortex warranty might be the best in the business. I kept one as my "car binocular" in my car day and night for over a year with no problems. Close focus is 4.5 feet.

Eagle Optics in the USA, which is connected with the Vortex company, has sold tons of them. Currently there are 51 reviews of the 8x42 on their website. The average of all the ratings is 5 stars. Not everyone sends in voluntary reviews so it could be their best selling binocular.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/vortex/vortex-diamondback-8x42-binocular

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments so far everyone. I am leaning towards the Nikon Monarch 5s, I have heard many people say that they are better than the Monarch 7s as there is less chromatic aberration and the sweet spot is bigger...

Possibly a dumb question, but if I buy the Vortex Diamondbacks, how do I find out if they are the 2014 update rather than an older pair?

Possibly a dumb question, but if I buy the Vortex Diamondbacks, how do I find out if they are the 2014 update rather than an older pair?

It is a fair question, though. A retailer with high turnover online
(maybe check the dates on reviews as some kind of odometer), or looking into them for
a 'ribbed tunnel' at a physical store.

I preferred the Monarch-7s to the M5s myself. Now they do cost more (after their intro deals), of course.
Last year the M5s did stand out for me at the shop, though. You'd have to witness both to
know your preference, but I would love either. The Diamonbacks I tried were super, like the M7s.
They were $190, though...not bad. People swear by the Vanguards around that price too.
There are so many excellent models at or under your range.

I'm killing time watching the competition with Carson 8x32 VPs with threaded hoods on front.
A bit "Road Warrior" style, but they give me the contrast I crave.
I may be close to getting a fancy winner.

I think the 'problem' is that there is so much choice/ competition at that price range. As someone said in another thread though, once I actually have new binoculars I'll stop worrying about slight differences between different ones and just enjoy them!

I don't know about any number attached to my Nikon Monarchs. I've had them since the dilectric coating first came out, about 4 springs ago. In November of 2012, one of the pins that support the eyecups broke and it was repaired, no charge. Recently, I noticed that the rubber cap on the focus wheel will spin without adjusting the focus. The service center told me that the cup is a pressure fit and may be worn. They offered a new one for about 7 US. I could probably fix it myself with a piece of tape. Not so bad for four years of moderate use. I don't pamper my bins so I feel as if they are pretty solidly made.

One suggestion that I would make is to find out which way the focus wheel turns to zoom in or out. The Nikons turned the opposite way of my previous binoculars and it took me a long time to get used to that. I happen to live in warbler country in the US and a partial turn of the wheel in the wrong direction is likely to cost you a sighting.

Steve

I think the 'problem' is that there is so much choice/ competition at that price range. As someone said in another thread though, once I actually have new binoculars I'll stop worrying about slight differences between different ones and just enjoy them!

Absolutely. When you get outside, most are fantastic. I just make sure there is enough field width to search. 8-1.5 degrees is great for 6x,7x,8x

Last edited:
A note on the Diamondbacks: on my evaluation in March, they were a lotr better in
2014, specifically on front irising and contrast, than they were in mid-2013.
I think they have had an upgrade.

That must have been a 2nd upgrade because about 2 years after they came out with the original 8x42 Vortex upgraded their brightness. Vortex advertised that the new models were about 7% brighter, or something like that, than the 1st version was. Mine is the first version and IMO it is still a perfectly useful binocular for birding. I bought mine from Camera Land as a Demo for $168.00 in September, 2008 and as I noted above I used it for a year as my car binocular but have used it very little since then. It is still nice and clean.

Bob

Last edited:
Of course, the main trouble would be sunlight or strong snow glare slipping into the front.
Near-angle sun would be pretty rare. Snow a bit more common here, but I make hoods
for my favorites. That eliminates the issue, but it adds a few inches of length.

Thanks for all the comments so far everyone. I am leaning towards the Nikon Monarch 5s, I have heard many people say that they are better than the Monarch 7s as there is less chromatic aberration and the sweet spot is bigger...

I'm not particularly keen on the Monarch 7. The first few samples I tried were dreadful. Small sweetspot, high peripheral distortion, high CA, and poor sharpness. Perhaps they have tightened up the QC or tweaked the design but it was much improved last time I had a look. The sweet spot had probably doubled in size, the CA was mostly confined to the edges, but the sharpness still wasn't good enough for a £400+ model.

At half the price the Monarch 5 seems much better value to me. I think there is a big improvement in colour, contrast and CA over the MkIII Monarch it's replaced in the line-up. The sharpness isn't fantastic as I mentioned, but probably typical for the price.

Both the 7 and the 5 were shown up for sharpness by the Prostaff 7 which is currently being sold for around £100 and being replaced by the 7S. The Prostaff 7 doesn't have dielectric prism coatings or the ED glass featured on the M5 and M7 and is physically bigger but that looks a very good deal to me.

It's been a while since I last looked at the Crossfire and wasn't aware there had been an upgrade.

David

P.S. I should point out the Monarch 7 x42s are quite different to the x30s and made by different companies. The x30s may not be fault free but I think it's a much better binocular than the x42s.

Last edited:
The Vanguard Endeavour ED 8x42 ... £203 ... Worth the extra IMO. David

Hello gecko18000, If you can buy the Vanguard at this price then I would do so.

(David, could you post or PM your link please ? Thanks, I've no time to trawl today :t:)

I have owned the MN5 8x42 and really liked it but if I was to revisit an inexpensive 8x42 then I would buy the Vanguard if only for the better fitting eye-piece covers.

The challenge with the Vortex is that as our domestic market here in the UK is tiny compared to that of the US unit turnover is consequentially much lower and updates are far less frequent (just look at the Kahles, all new 'old' stock). If I was going this route I would ask a member in the US to post a serial number for a 2014 model to give a reference point with a retailer.

Bought today a Vanguard or NM5 delivered Wednesday / Thursday then you're off the internet and out birding :-O.

Good luck with your choice and happy shopping !

Last edited:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t..._nkw=bushnell+ultra+legend&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Whole raft of Bushnell Legends there well within your price range.

They are superb, well worth the monies.
I bought my Bushnell Legends via eBay at well below RRP and have had no issues whatsoever. I was a little wary before purchasing as I tend to be a bit suspicious about things not being up to scratch if the price is so good but I emailed the seller beforehand with a few questions and they promised me I was getting the real deal - and indeed I did. It's an avenue worth considering for sure

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back