• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me not to hate! (1 Viewer)

Preacherman

Moved into our retirement home 2 years ago. Almost 3/4 acre of garden with loads of birds and also badgers and foxes. If I see a fox take (say) 3 or 4 young ducks from the nest, whilst sad, I realise that's just the way nature works. But since moving to our new home I have found 3 dead wood pigeons, 2 dead collared doves and 3 dead blackbirds. Given the number of cats around I know it's these that are the culprits. What really got to me the other day was actually walking into the garden and seeing a cat with it's jaws around the neck of a collared dove. As soon as it saw me, it dropped the dove and ran off. I picked up the dove and it breathed it's last breath as I held it with blood flowing from it's mouth. Ever seen a 62 year old hard case weep? However, unlike the fox, this cat will probably go home and enjoy the finest cream, chicken sandwiches (with the crusts removed) and pride of place next to the fire. I should feel guilty at hating these things, given that they are no doubt loved by someone, maybe an old person, or a child, but I don't. Anyhow, rant over, and whoever reads this, thanks for "listening". God bless. Paul.

Its a pity the owners dont always put a collar and bell around the cats, this would stop 90% of the killings.

However cats do hunt and kill birds, but it would be much more acceptable if this was a Sparrowhawk earning its daily ration especially as the cats generally make the kill and leave the dead bird.

Dave

That annoys me too. Maybe they should do some fashionable cat bells. Maybe then more people would put one on their cat's collar!

I can't help you not to hate, because I hate it completely.

I've been in many situations in my garden where, if I were to treat the marauding cat as any other invasive species harming the birds, I could have killed it: but since I have first hand experience of family owners who own (and love!) cats, I don't want to visit such grief upon other people.

So because of their lack of understanding I have to watch birds die. The worst thing is, as the cat doesn't follow normal predator/prey numerical relationships, it might be getting rid of the birds in a local area for good. A wonderful situation isn't it!!!

Don't think there is an answer to this one Preacher,think you just have to let it go. Mankind has a tendancy to only see things from their own, sometimes selfish, point of view..bird lovers hate cats and squirrels ..Pigeon fanciers hate Sparrowhawks and Peregrines...Fishermen hate Cormorants and Goosanders.Maybe what is needed is just a little more understanding,and the desire to look beyond our own interests?

You said?

I guess what I mean is that you are not going to be able to use every cat or dog in the world as target practice,and they will never be made illegal to own, so you just have to get on with it, and realise that some people's interests will cause conflicts of opinion.

Don't think there is an answer to this one Preacher,think you just have to let it go. Mankind has a tendancy to only see things from their own, sometimes selfish, point of view..bird lovers hate cats and squirrels ..Pigeon fanciers hate Sparrowhawks and Peregrines...Fishermen hate Cormorants and Goosanders.Maybe what is needed is just a little more understanding,and the desire to look beyond our own interests?

And then what? Try as I might I can't "look beyond my own interests" and see how killing peregrines, goosanders and cormorants is a good thing to do!

Anyway, the lack of action you suggest is pretty much what goes on today viz. BOP persecution, and that's a lovely state of affairs isn't it...

Is there an effective way to stop cats coming into your garden? Do the sonic devices work? Problem for me is that a local cat uses my garden as a toilet on a more or less permanent basis. I have been fortunate in not witnessing any bird killings but I'm not kidding myself it doesn't happen!

James

And then what? Try as I might I can't "look beyond my own interests" and see how killing peregrines, goosanders and cormorants is a good thing to do!

Anyway, the lack of action you suggest is pretty much what goes on today viz. BOP persecution, and that's a lovely state of affairs isn't it...

Don't think we are talking about the same thing here at all. The killing of BOP is against the law, allegedly,and should be dealt with severely by the powers that be.I am not suggesting lack of action, by all means scare cats off etc, but we are never going to stop them killing birds are we?
I was in no way suggesting that the killing of Cormorants,Goosanders etc is a good thing to do.My point is, that if we take any actions that are illegal, we become as wrong as the rogue fishermen, Pigeon keepers and Gamekeepers.
I would love to live in a world where cats did not kill things, and leave their mess in my garden, but it aint going to happen as far as I can see.

My point is, that if we take any actions that are illegal, we become as wrong as the rogue fishermen, Pigeon keepers and Gamekeepers.

Pure nonsense. How can you possibly equate the callous killing of nature's native creatures with the proper control of man-made vermin - in this case, loose cats? The two could not be any more different! It is our duty to nature to control the pests we've intoduced, and to respect and protect the native creatures.

There's a very simple way to keep cats from killing - make sure they remain indoors where they belong, and remove them from the outdoors where they don't! My cats have never killed anything except housebugs.

It's about time we had another anti cat thread, it must be at least a week since the last one. Why don't the powers that be here on BF designate an anti cat forum so you can all discuss ways of getting rid of the cats. If you want to discuss 'target practice' and traps, poison etc, which have been discussed on other anti cat threads then you can carry on and not spare us with your drivel.

PS...I like cats :cat:

Here, cats are a problem also. We have the usual North America feline disease problems with the ferals too. Coyotes are starting to knock out lots of house cats, especially the declawed ones. The ferals are too smart. I'm with Dave on not needing to overemphasize cat killing, but if house cats are your apex predators, you will have problems with absenteeism...and if anyone kills a BOP in Alabama, they expect to get turned in...even by fellow hunters. That's the way it should be.

It is our duty to nature to control the pests we've intoduced, and to respect and protect the native creatures.

That is not for the individual to decide, in my opinion.If government decides to round up strays and put them down that is a different matter.Surely we have a duty to obey the laws of the land.

Erm but the government is an extension of society, which is made up of us and our individual action, whether by voting or loading a gun!

Cat deterrant

Is there an effective way to stop cats coming into your garden? Do the sonic devices work? Problem for me is that a local cat uses my garden as a toilet on a more or less permanent basis. I have been fortunate in not witnessing any bird killings but I'm not kidding myself it doesn't happen!

James

Hi James, just been on RSPB web page and they have a Catwatch Cat Deterrant. It's electric (12 volt battery or mains) and emits a high pitched signal (cats can hear it but humans can't) on detecting movement. Its's not cheap at £53, but I for one will get one. God bless. Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back