• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking of swapping to Canon (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I have a Panasonic DMC FZ30 and having seen the bird photos my friend's 20D takes I am musing whether to sell mine and buy a 2nd hand 20d and the lens he has the 70-300mm F4.F5.6 IS.

Amongst other things I am hoping thet the larger sensor will provide better/more detail and I may even try out birds in Flight wth the faster auto focus.

I have never owned a DSLR.

I am already digiscoping for my favourites - the waders.

Is this a sensible idea/move forward?

Comments suggestions etc all appreciated.

I don't think you'll regret the move. I'd been using an FZ20 prior to buying the Canon 20D. Sensor quality is much better on a DSLR with next to no noise and it's just as easy to use.

Just be aware that the 20D has been around for a while and that shutters may wear out after a while, so try to locate one with 'low clicks' or maybe look for a more recent second hand model such as the 350D, 400D or even the 30D now that it's been replaced by the 40D.

Lens wise if you can run to 400mm, it will be much more useful for bird photos. Also prime lenses usually autofocus more quickly that zoom lenses. With a 300mm lens you'll have to get pretty close to the subject and zooms don't usually take well to teleconverters.

Thanks for the info Ian.

My budget will not stretch to the prime lens seeing how much the 300 and 400 cost!

So if I decide to change I will have to go with the Zoom. The one I mention is only £28O after Canon cashback.

Will its slow speed auto focus give my a reasonable uplift on the FZ30 for say gulls. waders etc in flight?

I guess I am a Birdwatcher first, digiscoper second, usual reasons owning a scope already etc..and my love of Waders.

So as I will be normally be carrying scope tripod Orion Trecker II for the lunch, fieldguide compact camera etc I dont think I want to carry a alot more weight.

At this stage I dont do enough dedicated bird photography to justify spending a lot.

Maybe if I get hooked who knows!

Cheers again

Thanks for the info Ian.

My budget will not stretch to the prime lens seeing how much the 300 and 400 cost!

So if I decide to change I will have to go with the Zoom. The one I mention is only £28O after Canon cashback.

Will its slow speed auto focus give my a reasonable uplift on the FZ30 for say gulls. waders etc in flight?

I guess I am a Birdwatcher first, digiscoper second, usual reasons owning a scope already etc..and my love of Waders.

So as I will be normally be carrying scope tripod Orion Trecker II for the lunch, fieldguide compact camera etc I dont think I want to carry a alot more weight.

At this stage I dont do enough dedicated bird photography to justify spending a lot.

Maybe if I get hooked who knows!

Cheers again

Even the zoom will be pick step up from the FZ30 for speed of autofocus. As long as you can track/pan the bird for a few seconds there won't be a problem. Gulls are ideal to practice on but I'm sure you'll come across more suitable species than that. If you can get close to waders like Oystercatchers and Cormorants for that matter which fly along the beach you'll have few problems. Likewise somewhere like Bempton Cliifs would be ideal where the birds are close and often 'floating in the air'.

The 20D and 300mm lens will give about 10x magnification, compared to a standard field of view, which is fine for flight shots, and many other close bird photos.
The technical image quality will undoubtedly be a big step-up..

However, if your main interest is in waders then you should be aware that it will not get you anywhere near close enough most of the time.
I shoot with a 40D and a 600mm f4L IS, and for waders I pretty much always have the 1.4x extender attached, and often I need the 2x. That's almost 40x magnification, and a small wader will rarely fill the frame. It weighs about 14lbs including the camera, and the tripod to support it is another 12lbs.

You may find that concentrating on your "long-lens" technique might improve your photos enough without extra expense. It is surprising how much camera shake can occur with high magnificaton, and it is often a reason for poor telephoto shots.
Just see if trying to reduce vibration and shake will give you better pictures first. If your camera has a cable release facility then use one, if not then perhaps try the timer setting on the shutter to allow vibration to minimize.

If this doesn't improve results, maybe your friend would let you try his camera before you sell yours, just to see how you like it for yourself. Just bear in mind that you can't attach it to your scope, and it won't give anything like the magnification of digiscoping without huge expense and weight.

Cheers,
Matt

I had a similar decison to make and would recommend:-
1. By all means get the 20D or if you can afford it a 30D. You can always sell it and 'move up' once you have learned the craft a bit. I bought a 2nd hand 20D and am deligthed but I am now looking to buy the 40D
2. For the lense, as everyone in the know will tell you-buy the absolute best you can afford. If the f4-5.6 is it you MIGHT BE ABLE add a 1.4TC and still get auto focus (I am sure someone will respond and confirm/deny this)
I know some people post amazing shots with digiscope but my experience is that a telephoto with decent camera will give you lots of pleasure and is easier to get more shots with (quicker focus and eaier to use etc).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back