• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mull Next Week - Help (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
Hi I'm going to Mull and Iona next week and would appreciate any site help for any of the following - obviously please don't publish sensitive site info. publicly

Please PM or give general area news.

Divers
Eider
Merganser
Black Guillemot
Raven
Both eagles
Corncrake
Rock Dove
Otter

Thanks

You're likely to see the black guillemot in Oban harbour while you're waiting on the ferry, and probably the eider and red-breasted merganser while crossing over to Mull.

I was taken on a tour of the island a few years ago, so I wasn't sure exactly where we were at some points, but we did stop off near some cliffs facing a sea inlet which had peregrines on the cliffs, and otters on the shoreline, and great northern divers in the water.

We saw white-tailed eagles flying over the sea, but again I couldn't tell you exactly where on Mull we were at that particular time. Other highlights included a male hen harrier and a short-eared owl.

It might be worth joining up with one of the organised tour to get a feel for the island and where the best sites are.

If you visit Tobermory, there's a good walk along the shore towards a lighthouse and harbour porpoises are often seen from the path.

When you go to Iona you will be able to hear Corncrakes as soon as you walk off the ferry.

Hint: calling Corncrakes are usually hidden in iris beds. However, the birds walk between areas of cover and feed in the open SILENTLY. Scan open areas as well as trying to spot calling birds.

John

You wont find a better place for Black Guilemots than Oban, if you have time walk just a little north of the actual harbour along the prom and you should get fantastic close views often down to just a few feet.

When you get to Mull go to the tourist information at Craignure and get a copy of Birdwatching on Mull and Iona,it should give you all the information you need.Great value at £4.95

I agree - when I went in March 2010, I got very close to a few swimming black guillemots in Oban. On Mull I had a few views of ravens, although again I'm unsure of location. There is a reserve for seeing the sea eagles, which is halfway on the main road between the ferry port and Tobermory (if you get a coach to Tobermory, you'll see a sign for it on the left) - however you'll need to call the centre in advance of your trip. There were seals and some harbour porpoises on the ferry, and the odd gannet too.

Hi Lawts. The book that Geoff mentioned is great. I'll try and dig out the map tomorrow and highlight some areas that we've been to. I'd also recommend an organised wildlife watching trip - nothing beats local knowledge. Alot of people say that Mull Charters is a good experience though I've not used them myself.

We're also up there next week. If you see a stressed Welshman with two children in tow that'll probably be me - only joking - they're fantastic. The wife on the other hand ............ ;-)
All the best with your trip,

Rich

Hi Steve

Have a look at the very informative Opus article for Mull. The main areas of interest are listed and in External Links you'll find a link to the Mull Birds website, one of the best sites I've seen.

A trip with one of the wildlife tour companies is a great idea, especially if you do it early in the week.

D

Ring Marcus, Steve. We are on at the moment and have all the gen. From the south side of Loch Na Keal you should get both eagles and otter. A handful of very smart GNDs left on the loch in full plumage. Get on the mull charters sea eagle trip (video on my blog) and or the puffin trip to lunga.

Last edited:
Steve,

I'm going up last week in June for moths (esp, Burnets), was hoping to just bump into most of your list, with a special trip to Iona for Corncrake.
Please let us know how you get on, any special sites etc.

Cheers
John

Last edited:
I was there about this time last year and found this site valuable especially if you have internet access while you're there;

http://www.mullbirds.com/LATESTREPORTS.html

We stayed at Salen pier and saw otters daily mainly around and under the pier. Black Guillemot also on the pier, GND & Mergs on several lochs. We saw harbour porpoise only on the last day while packing the car ready to leave.

Iona is a must. Have a great trip & be prepared to get blown over. :t:

Best places ive found for Rock doves is around Bunessan, especially along the road from here to Uisken. But I have seen them numerous times also south of Bunessan and also on Iona. Ardalanish bay by Uisken is good for Divers and waders etc and is a cracking beach. Also the area by the farm here check out for Twite,Siskin etc.
Good views of Great Northerns on Lochs Skidain and na Keal normally. Ravens and Otters- just keep watching sooner or later you should come across them on the Isle.The head of Loch Beg has been our Otter hotspot over the years.
Eagle wise- will touch on two favoured areas, the head of loch na Keal and Kilfinichen bay.

Im with him on Mull. He is busy with the tour but Im sure we can sort you out. When are you coming?

Setting off on Wednesday - on the 4.00pm ferry - staying three nights. On the boat trip on Friday for White-tailed. Back on the first ferry Saturday morning and then trying for Chequered Skipper on the mainland.

So effectively I've got the drive through Mull on Wednesday evening and staying at Fidden. Next morning on to Iona. Available time depends on Corncrake success.

Boat trip following morning and then the rest of the day on Mull.

Just noticed this thread - I was there 5-12 May, but for once my timing was out as it was very cold and quite windy on Mull. Everything was a little late getting in and was a little more tricky getting the target species. Sedge Warbler was not at Dervaig's reedbed and had to get mine on Iona. Fortunately the Corncrake were plentiful, in noise if not sightings:t:

Loch Na Keal was the obvious (and popular) choice for both Eagles, but Hen Harrier at Loch Frisa was my favourite8-P(park nr the RSPB Eaglewatch on the road from Dervaig to Tobermory). Plenty of Merlin and Short eared owl seen by travelling on moorland roads (away from the water).

Whimbrel at Salen, and to re-iterate Uisken Bay for Rock Dove and Twite hanging around the crab/lobster pots. Usually a good area for Cuckoo on th wires too as well as the beach as mentioned by Seggs (I think).

GN Divers and RT Divers on Loch Na Keal too.

Even in poor weather Mull is great. Ironically it's almost tropical on there now. Never mind, there's always next time.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back