• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common or Rough-legged Buzzard (1 Viewer)

Lucky Birder

Notts Birder
This was sent to me today as a putative Rough-legged Buzzard. It was in south Notts yesterday. I am not a raptor expert and have never seen Rough-legged perched at close quarters, although I have seen plenty in flight. I think this is a Common Buzzard but I would like an expert to say it's a Common Buzzard because x,y and z. I would love it to be a Rough-legged.

Attachments

• Buzzard sp..JPG
    Buzzard sp..JPG
    16 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Hi
I think it is a pale Common Buzzard, because it doesn't seem to show any dark terminal band on the tail (although difficult to see anything at all in the photo) and the legs have no feathering to them.

looks like a regular Common Buzzard to my eyes, both structurally and plumage-wise ~ I suspect the dark belly area and 'streaky' looking breast has suggested Rough-legged but the feathering should reach all the way down to the feet if it where

All in line with my own thoughts and perhaps I shouldn't expect anything more. I thought perhaps someone would say thast the cere was the wrong shape or something. Thanks anyway but I'll give it a bit longer before I disappoint the observer.

In addition to what's already been said, Rough-legged has a different overall colouration, particulary on the upperparts, being a colder greyish-white rather than warmer brown-cream like the Common Buzzard in the picture. One might say that Rough-legs look a bit frosty - rather like the far-northern fells on which they breed.

Rgds

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back