• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Masters Golf Birdwatch/listen....? (1 Viewer)

led_snapper

How about a list of birds ID'd on the Masters Golf Championship coverage? Certainly beats watching guys wacking balls into holes......

Last edited:
I believe that I heard/read somewhere that bird calls are dubbed in. Sometimes this has resulted in inappropriate calls being played in the background, i.e. calls of birds which would not be in the area.

I suppose sometimes calls of birds actually on site could be heard on these broadcasts.

Funnily enough I don't normally watch golf on the telly, but was quite hooked on some of the birdsong that appeared to be the background to the final rounds. I'm pretty sure it can't have been dubbed in, can it? And the only offering in the previous posts is Mistle Thrush. Is that all there was? There was one very melodious song that I didn't recognise at all so I'd be surprised if it was a Mistle Thrush - I assumed it was some American species I'd not come across. Can any of our US colleagues help?

Alan Hill

*bump*

Does anyone have any further information on the birds that can be heard at the Masters? I haven't noticed any Mistle Thrushes so far on this year's coverage. Is it really a tape?

I would have thought that a golf course manicured to the point of vertual sterility would have very little value for wildlife of any kind!... I'm assuming that the "perfect" finish doesn't come without the application of huge quantities of artificial fertilizers, pesticides and other wildlife unfriendly practices.

I'm not really a fan of golf, golf courses, or couch potato birdwatching ...... can you tell?

I'll be out looking for real birds this weekend!

*bump*

Does anyone have any further information on the birds that can be heard at the Masters? I haven't noticed any Mistle Thrushes so far on this year's coverage. Is it really a tape?

PS...... welcome to BirdForum, David...... not everyone's as grumpy as me here!... I'll look forward to the full list, mistle trushes or not!

Noted Cardinal singing prominently on a brief clip last, night plus Carolina Wren and Blue Jay. I'll be paying more attention next time to spot audio infringements akin to Mistle Thrush!
What I find more extraordinary is the mis-matching of birdsong on otherwise meticulous BBC wildlife unit productions - even on Bill Oddie programmes there are occasional clangers, with wrong bird in wrong season and even wrong continent!
Dave C

Almost related to this subject, but I have wondered which bird is singing as Bill Murrey leaves his hotel every morning in the film Groundhog Day - it sounds just like a Chiffchaff!

What I find more extraordinary is the mis-matching of birdsong on otherwise meticulous BBC wildlife unit productions - even on Bill Oddie programmes there are occasional clangers, with wrong bird in wrong season and even wrong continent!
Dave C

Agreed Dave - I regularly shout at the telly. I once heard that for an interview held in a Sussex garden in September, the choice of a Blackbird singing or chawing Rooks was offered for the background soundtrack.

In a recent Grand Designs Abroad from France, a Nightingale was singing in the background throughout the whole year, even in the dead of winter.

I would have thought that a golf course manicured to the point of vertual sterility would have very little value for wildlife of any kind!... I'm assuming that the "perfect" finish doesn't come without the application of huge quantities of artificial fertilizers, pesticides and other wildlife unfriendly practices.
Actually golf is my second hobby, and at least here in Southern Arizona golf courses are pretty bird friendly. I am chastised at least twice a round for watching a bird and not being ready to hit when it is my turn.

I love hearing the cactus wrens when events take place in Arizona. Gotta be the best state for "back yard" birds. I also love the azaleas on the 13th or 14th hole at Augusta.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back