• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Talon HD 8x32 UK availability (1 Viewer)

aix123

Anyone know if this product is sold more in the U.S. than in the UK? I can't find it for sale in the UK, even online. Just the 10x32 and 8x42 Talons.

And I'm wondering (as more than a beginner, but far, far less than an expert) what the main difference is between the Talon and the Viper. Are we talking a slightly lower cost version of the Viper? I like dual hinge bins as I find them even easier to hold, especially one-handed, so the Talon sort of appealed from an aesthetic point of view.

I'm someone who's looking for a better bin experience than my current Vortex Crossfire IIs, which have actually been very good. Had them three years and, apart from being darker than better spec bins, I really can't complain. They've served me very well. (I think that does mean I'm a beginner.)

Anyone know if this product is sold more in the U.S. than in the UK? I can't find it for sale in the UK, even online. Just the 10x32 and 8x42 Talons.

And I'm wondering (as more than a beginner, but far, far less than an expert) what the main difference is between the Talon and the Viper. Are we talking a slightly lower cost version of the Viper? I like dual hinge bins as I find them even easier to hold, especially one-handed, so the Talon sort of appealed from an aesthetic point of view.

I'm someone who's looking for a better bin experience than my current Vortex Crossfire IIs, which have actually been very good. Had them three years and, apart from being darker than better spec bins, I really can't complain. They've served me very well. (I think that does mean I'm a beginner.)

Have a look the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 thread. I've posted an image taken via hand held mobile phone, and it shows the contrast and clarity well.

I had Hawke Frontier ED before I got the sightrons, and hands down, these are far, far better bins.

Thanks Ratal. I had them in my notes, because I'd noticed them mentioned a few times in various threads I've read here over the last month or two. I'm very tempted. Can't really go much wrong for the price, especially with the good reports, including in the main thread about them. I see they're available from a seller in Slovenia and payable by Paypal. Looks good. If I do get them, I'll try to remember to come back here and provide a comment or two about them.

But I'm still interested if anyone knows more about the Talon as stated in my original comment above.

Eagle Optics in the USA is supposed to be associated somehow with Vortex and they do not have any 32mm Talons listed on their web site: Just the 8 and 10 x 42 Versions.

Camera Land, NY asks you to call them about the availability of the 32mm version. The 42mm versions are available there.

Eurooptic in Pennsylvania does not have the 32mm versions listed in stock.

They are still listed on the Vortex Website.

Bob

Last edited:
Aix123

I bought my Sightron bins from Slovenia, possibly, the same place. I should have chosen a courier but, apart from that, I have no complaints. I bought from them again with a courier and no complaints then either.

Aix123

I bought my Sightron bins from Slovenia, possibly, the same place. I should have chosen a courier but, apart from that, I have no complaints. I bought from them again with a courier and no complaints then either.

Was delivery slower without using a courier - or did you have other problems?

Yes, aix123,

I don't know for sure why but the electronic tracking was discontinuous. I learned that the bin went to HMRC for security checking. With courier services the tracking may not be much better but I suspect their agents speed up the process.

Thanks Brian. I hadn't seen that seller.

I see they don't mention any returns policy. I'm always a bit wary of that. Not saying anything wrong with them in any way, I'm just very careful. And sometimes it's necessary to return an item - so long as it's in the same condition as when purchased, I think that's reasonable. That's one thing that, rightly or wrongly, attracts me to buy from places like Amazon - their very good returns policy. I know they can do that due to their size, but it does frustrate me in the UK when many retailers, even if you're a previous customer, don't offer a return, they only offset the cost of the item against another purchase.

I see they don't mention any returns policy. I'm always a bit wary of that. Not saying anything wrong with them in any way, I'm just very careful. And sometimes it's necessary to return an item - so long as it's in the same condition as when purchased, I think that's reasonable. That's one thing that, rightly or wrongly, attracts me to buy from places like Amazon - their very good returns policy. I know they can do that due to their size, but it does frustrate me in the UK when many retailers, even if you're a previous customer, don't offer a return, they only offset the cost of the item against another purchase.

Vortex has the best warranty in the industry. You are better off dealing with them.

It is written on the box the binoculars come in.

Bob

Vortex has the best warranty in the industry. You are better off dealing with them.

It is written on the box the binoculars come in.

Bob

Thanks, yes, I know of the Vortex warranty. I have a pair of Vortex Crossfires 8x42 (love them), but haven't had to use their warranty service yet. No, I was referring above more to returning bins in mint condition to a retailer, within say a week or two - many in the UK don't do such returns, unless the price is set off against another sale.

Last edited:

Hi, the returns policy is included within the 'About us' page here:

http://www.birders-store.co.uk/the_birders_store_about_us_4.html

I should also add that I work at The Birders Store and can confirm that there is no quibble over refunds on returns as long as the goods are returned as new. Hope this helps.

Brian

Hi, the returns policy is included within the 'About us' page here:

http://www.birders-store.co.uk/the_birders_store_about_us_4.html

I should also add that I work at The Birders Store and can confirm that there is no quibble over refunds on returns as long as the goods are returned as new. Hope this helps.

Brian

Cheers Brain, I hadn't noticed that page. I wasn't sure if you were connected to the Birders' Store, so was extra careful not to offend |;|

I'm deciding over the next day or two what to do, so it's more than possible that I'll give the Talons a go, from the Birders Store.

Thanks

Something occurred to me while watching a video about the Talons. There is hardly any space to attach the objective lens covers. It appears they don't fit well at all. Freezing at 2 mins 10 seconds into the video below, shows this clearly, especially on the right-hand side of the binocular. Put me off them a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtV5ggK0fYg

At least with the Sightrons the covers fits inside, eliminating the need to find space to fit around the outside. These Sightron one-piece internal fitting lens covers put me off too, but maybe I'd get used to them.

With the old Swarovski EL model (pre 2015) this issue must have been a problem, surely. There's no room for covers unless internal, as the new EL design has.

It's a shame as I really like the open hinge design on bins.

Maybe I could buy other lens covers for the Talons that fit inside like the Sightron covers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back