• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro Lens for Panasonic Lumix FZ200 (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

I aim to purchase a Macro Lens for a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 camera. My reason being to photograph Moths, Insects and Flora and get a half decent image. I would appreciate help with which lens is the appropriate one for my camera.

Thanks in advance of any help.

The FZ200 is a Bridge Camera and will not take interchangeable lenses.

You are therefore limited to close up filters, which screw into the front of the lens or you can get a clip on close up lens such as those made by Raynox.

If you search out Graham Houghton on YouTube, he has videos demonstrating both products.

The FZ200 is a Bridge Camera and will not take interchangeable lenses.

You are therefore limited to close up filters, which screw into the front of the lens or you can get a clip on close up lens such as those made by Raynox.

If you search out Graham Houghton on YouTube, he has videos demonstrating both products.

Thank you for your input.

I will check out the videos and also wait and see if I get more response on Birdforum from someone who has the same model camera and has used a filter or close up lens.

Hi,
I use a Raynox DCR250 on a Canon SX50 bridge camera.
It clips into the front of the lens.
The results are more than acceptable.
Depending on your camera there is one possible downside, you loose auto focus and need to move the camera back and forward to get what you want in focus.
But that is a basic macro technique anyway .....
Remember that you don't have much dof when using this lens.
Possibly if you are starting out and the critters you want to image are all at the larger end of "insect" the Raynox DCR150 may be a better choice, it a lower magnification lens.
Also optically excellent.

Pam,
I had an earlier version of a Pana superzoom: this was able to focus at about 3 feet distance even at maximum zoom, and I was able to use the macro-AF setting with max zoom. That meant that some flowers and insects came out really well. To use the lens that way meant that I could be far enough away that the insects mostly stayed in place.

Check out if that works for you before investing in something more expensive (you may already have, if so, sorry to plunge in).

Niels

Thank you for the advice Niels, it is much appreciated.

I do use the macro-AF setting with max zoom but find if the light is not good (which it invariably is not) then the result is not so good as I would wish it to be.

Thanks for this suggestion, while the contents is a bit repetitive, it has quite a number of extremely helpful suggestions. Not sure how much I want to get into the practical side, but for experimenting a bit I ordered a few of the suggested tools. One thing I had to deal with once again, postage costs can be a real deal killer when ordering from Switzerland. In one case (remote release cable) the difference from where I would order ran into a 10-fold magnitude. And ordering a 6£ item with a 20£ postage added to it would simply be ridiculous. Though I find such things often for replacement parts for model trains. So it pays to shop around a bit.

I purchased a Raynox DCR-150 and have had a few trials with it on Moths! I am happy with the results and will enjoy using it as often as possible to (hopefully) improve my images.

Thank you to all who offered such good advice.

Photo attached of a Diamond-back Moth of which there are rather a lot of in the UK at present...in their millions I believe.

Attachments

• P1100257.JPG
    P1100257.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 264
The raynox lens is amazing. Wouldn't be without one.

Attachments

• 24259191481_212c9f94a3_o.jpg
    24259191481_212c9f94a3_o.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 218
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back