• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Lens for Panosonic GH4/5 with Digiadapter (1 Viewer)

sunlight

Looking for advice on the best lens for videoscoping with the GH5 (realizing it is not relaeased yet so relying on GH 4 experience.) Potential choices include:

1) Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 II ASPH (most experience out there)

2) Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 (possibly some vignetting but apparently not with video according to Neil, however, as the GH5 uses the entire sensor for video may return with this lens)

3)Panasonic Lumix G 25mm f/1.7 ASPH

4)Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO (? too big)

5)Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f/1.8 Lens

Would love the thoughts of the group. Again my primary focus will be video and not stills.

No experience for your main question. However, is there enough difference in video performance (are you pro enough) to warrant the GH5 vs the G80/85?

Niels

Niels,
Certainly not a pro myself and expect to use the camera off the scope for stills but as of right now the pre release reviews are calling this camera a significant step forward from a video standpoint from the GH4 which many here consider one of the better cameras for videoscoping. Open to everyone's thoughts as nothing purchased or ordered yet. Thanks for responding

Looking for advice on the best lens for videoscoping with the GH5 (realizing it is not relaeased yet so relying on GH 4 experience.) Potential choices include:

1) Panasonic LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 II ASPH (most experience out there)

2) Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 (possibly some vignetting but apparently not with video according to Neil, however, as the GH5 uses the entire sensor for video may return with this lens)

3)Panasonic Lumix G 25mm f/1.7 ASPH

4)Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 25mm f/1.2 PRO (? too big)

5)Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f/1.8 Lens

Would love the thoughts of the group. Again my primary focus will be video and not stills.

I'd also be very interested in some answers to that question. Surely someone has tried some of these lenses and can comment?

I have a Swaro ATM HD 80 scope. I'm now using my phone on it and quite happy with it, but as I recently bought a m4/3 camera (G80), I'm thinking of trying this on the scope as well. So what is the best m4/3 digiscoping lens? As the OP, most of the time I find the Pana 20 mm 1.7 being mentionned for digiscoping. But actually I could not find much in the sense of comparing different lenses, or experience with some of the newer lenses.

Anyone?

Panasonic 20mm is the most popular for digiscoped shots

Great, somebody answers! Thanks :t:

Yes, that's what I gathered so far as well. It seems to be the most popular.

But is it also the best? The 20 mm is around already quite a while, some of the other lenses listed above are more recent. So most users having the 20 mm could also be because when they bought it, it was the only one that worked. Or people buy it, because it is the most popular...

I'm about to buy it as well, because it seems to be the most popular. I probably won't go wrong, but perhaps some of the other lenses are better, just no one wrote about it yet?

I have no experience with the others. One reason why it's so popular is the f1.7 for the dof and light capabilities. When it's not on the back of your scope it's takes decent wide angle shots as well.

When I was into digiscoping, I used the Sigma 30mm f2.8, which was mentioned earlier in this thread. This was on a GH2 and attached to a Swarovski ATS80 with the 20-60 zoom via the Swarovski DCA adapter.

I had to zoom in slightly to remove vignetting, but in terms of focus, sharpness and contrast, I found it to be an excellent lens. Reasonably priced, too.

Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back