• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebirds (1 Viewer)

Stombujotz

Hello, I put up a bluebird house about a year ago and after moving the house a few times, I finally was lucky enough to get a nesting pair...I checked the house about a week ago and saw four eggs in the nest. I observed the pair in the tree by the house every day showing up just after sunrise. A few days ago only one bird showed up for a short time and then flew off and I have not seen them since...I am thinking that maybe one of them must have gotten killed....I am at a loss why they would otherwise abandon the nest....

Hi. I joined BF a few days ago, so am just seeing your post. I am sorry to hear of the nesting failure. |=(| It really sounds like one of the birds died or was preyed upon.

If the female dies during the egg laying/incubating period the eggs will be lost as the male is unable to incubate them to maturity. If the female is left alone during the egg laying process, she may abandon the nest; if during the incubating process then she might continue on her own, although it will be very difficult solo.

If either "widowed" partner is able to find a mate immediately, then the new pair may continue to tend the existing clutch/brood... I've been a bluebird landlord for a few years and have never seen a pair just up and leave in the middle of a nesting attempt. It sounds like one of the parents may have been preyed upon during the incubating term.

Better luck to your bluebirds next time!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back