• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mitu, Colombia May 2017 (1 Viewer)

Rgallardy

Hi all,

Just got back yesterday from a 10 day trip to Mitu. I still haven't finished up my blog posts from NE Brazil in March (got too busy!), but luckily had more time on this Mitu trip to work on things in the evening. Trip report is almost done too!

This trip was done completely independently. We used a local contact, Nacho, to arrange logistics, which worked out alright. Nacho was our "expert bird guide" (as stated in the info he sent us) but he knew very few birds, but did know the trails well. Luckily, I'm familiar enough with the avi-fauna that we were able to find everything on our own. Fellow BF member Jon Gallagher also joined us on the trip. Total costs for the 10 days was ~$500 per person.

Anyways, overall it was a great trip. Around 275 species included almost all of our targets. Tawny-tufted Toucanet, Chestnut-crested Antbird, Gray-bellied Antbird, Yellow-throated Antwren, Guanian Cock-of-the-Rock, Fiery Topaz, Black Manakin, Black Bushbird, Pompadour Cotinga, 4 Puffbirds (Chestnut-capped, Brown-banded, Spotted, and Pied), and Curve-billed Scythebill!

Below is a link to the first few days of the trip.

https://budgetbirders.com/2017/05/18/mitu-colombia-part-1-may-6-11th-2017/

Best,

Ross

Nice first report Ross, looking forward to the rest! Brings back memories. Oh, that house at Pueblo Nuevo....

look forward to reading the report - any sighting of Grey-legged Tinamou (we were heard only as usual with this sp during our visit), Red-billed Ground-cuckoo or Rio Negro Gnatcatcher? One of our team saw the latter but was UTVs for the others.

cheers, alan

Great trip with Ross and Melissa--check out the excellent blog posts! Plus it shows that Colombia can be done inexpensively, and Mitu despite its remoteness was a fantastic place to bird with the added advantage of good accommodation available. Even the food worked out for this vegetarian: cheese arepas, fantastic tropical fruits, and even a restaurant serving crepes...

look forward to reading the report - any sighting of Grey-legged Tinamou (we were heard only as usual with this sp during our visit), Red-billed Ground-cuckoo or Rio Negro Gnatcatcher? One of our team saw the latter but was UTVs for the others.

cheers, alan

Alan, no sightings of Grey-legged Tinamou, Ground-cukoo, or Gnatcatcher! Though can't say I'm too surprised by that either....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back