• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Binoculars (2 Viewers)

Thanks for that link. I had not found that collection, and since some of the earliest binoculars used by birders/ornithologists were Galilean, I'm trying to locate examples of a few particular ones.

JB

Nix that. Now I can see it is in your own collection. My old bookmark for you is under your actual name, and I had not noticed the change. I missed that bin in your collection. Nobody else seems interested in Galilean bins. As you point out, despite the very narrow field of view, some of these perform quite well.

I've just bought a pair of old Galilean binoculars from a charity shop today for £10 (along with a not-so-cheap or vintage new pair of Vortex Diamondbacks from another shop!), which look very similar to the Flickr pair of Ross ones linked to a couple of posts ago. Mine look very, very similar, and have '12 Lenses' printed on the bridge between the two eyepeices, but no other markings on them apart from 'Made In France' on the back of that bridge. Can't even find any serial number on them either. They also have what I assume are sun/glare shades that pull or twist out from the objective lenses. They're in good condition considering their age, some paint wear but no dents, optics intact though a bit dirty, looks like in places round the edges the lenses are separating slightly but not to the detriment of the view.

Any idea on the manufacturer of these? They give a very good quality image, all brass construction and came in what looks like their original case (very battered, lid separated from the body of the case) that also has no markings on it but looks of good quality. I'm guessing as well they date from the turn of the last century, early 1900s?

I've just bought a pair of old Galilean binoculars from a charity shop today for £10 (along with a not-so-cheap or vintage new pair of Vortex Diamondbacks from another shop!), which look very similar to the Flickr pair of Ross ones linked to a couple of posts ago. Mine look very, very similar, and have '12 Lenses' printed on the bridge between the two eyepeices, but no other markings on them apart from 'Made In France' on the back of that bridge. Can't even find any serial number on them either. They also have what I assume are sun/glare shades that pull or twist out from the objective lenses. They're in good condition considering their age, some paint wear but no dents, optics intact though a bit dirty, looks like in places round the edges the lenses are separating slightly but not to the detriment of the view.

Any idea on the manufacturer of these? They give a very good quality image, all brass construction and came in what looks like their original case (very battered, lid separated from the body of the case) that also has no markings on it but looks of good quality. I'm guessing as well they date from the turn of the last century, early 1900s?

Your dating is probably correct. Before 1894 I'd guess that the French were the world's most prolific manufacturer of binoculars, all Galilean, although the English and Germans made a fair number also. If there is no manufacturer's name on them, I have no idea who made them. 12 lenses - one of the better glasses so you think there would be a name.

Indeed, reading through this thread the 12 lenses versions sound like high quality items. I got it for £10 in a charity shop - good price or not would you say? They are indeed nice to look through, very sharp and clear though with no IPD adjustment I find the lenses are just slightly too far apart for me!

Additions to Vintage Binocular Collection

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on March 10, 2011:

1) BBT Krauss 312.10 MILLI 7X50
2) Bell & Howell M19 7X50
3) Leitz beh Kriegsmarine (type II) 7X50 (w/case, filters, rubber eyecups)
4) Ross Stepmab 9X35
5) Ross Stepnac 6X30
6) Ross Stepnite 7X50
7) Spencer Lens Company U.S. NAVY BU.SHIPS MARK 30 MOD 0 7X50
8) SRPI Puteaux 8X24 (Finnish Army, Porro II)

I would appreciate any comments, further information or corrections the members of this forum could provide about these binoculars and my descriptions of them.

Also, I am researching the BOP filter conversion of the Canadian 7X50 REL binocular and REL 7X50's in general. If a member has any 7X50 REL binoculars or a BOP converted one, I would be most interested in its details such as model #, year of manufacture, number of dry air ports, serial number, presence of coated lenses, presence of yellow Admiralty arrows, weight, and any other information about its history and manufacture. To date, 46 REL 7X50 binoculars have been catalogued of which 9 are BOP filter modified.

Once again, thanks to members of this and other forums who have provided new information about the binoculars in the collection.

The new binoculars can be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157626312188522/detail/

The entire collection including additions can be viewed at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157623234405689/detail/

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on May 13, 2011:

1) Fujinon M24 7X28
2) Hensoldt Wetzlar bmj Dienstglas 7X56
3) Hensoldt Wetzlar Sport-Dialyt 8X30
4) Kershaw Olympic 8X30
5) SarD BU.AERO U.S. NAVY MARK 43 6x42
6) Swarovski Habicht SLC 8X30WB (Mark III)
7) Wollensak Optical Company, U.S. Army Binocular M5 6X30
8) Carl Zeiss London, Binocular Prismatic No. 3 Mark I 6X24
9) Zeiss West Germany Dialyt 8X56B

I would appreciate any comments, further information or corrections the members of this forum could provide about these binoculars and my descriptions of them.

Also, I am researching the BOP filter conversion of the Canadian 7X50 REL binocular and REL 7X50's in general. If a member has any 7X50 REL binoculars or a BOP converted one, I would be most interested in its details such as model #, year of manufacture, number of dry air ports, serial number, presence of coated lenses, presence of yellow Admiralty arrows, weight, and any other information about its history and manufacture. To date, 51 REL 7X50 binoculars have been catalogued of which 9 are BOP filter modified.

Once again, thanks to members of this and other forums who have provided new information about the binoculars in the collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157626901417520/detail/

Last edited:
They came in their case and there is a little bubbling of paint where the prism plates rest on the blocks in the case, but it isn't severe and there is hardly any paint loss.

The Sards are beauties. The prism plates are in such good shape they must not have been stored in the infamous case.

LPT,
I have greatly enjoyed your photographs and descriptions. Although I know nothing about vintage binoculars ( I once looked through a fully coated narrow field Sard 7x70 and thought it excellent) there is one shown in a catalog view, that especially appeals to me, for its fantastic appearance, the Kershaw Vanguard. It is very beautiful:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/5806545681/in/set-72157626901417520

I only wish I had known about this binocular when I was on Earth. It would have simply "set off" some of my best outfits. My buddies with the flying saucer will be taking a weekend trip there soon, however. They all want Vanguards too, and I am sure they will let me come along. Maybe we can find a few of these things, do you think? You would be a great help. Is it OK if we call you up when we get there?
Elvis

It seems to me these show up on eBay from time to time. If later 1940's - 80's manufacture (mostly Porro I) they're probably Japanese, and if they look more modern (mostly roof prism) they're probably of Chinese manufacture.They don't appear on my listing of older Japanese binoculars, but that list isn't comprehensive. My guess is their quality is at the best average. It might help if you sent a picture.

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on July 31, 2011:

1) Emil Busch cxn D.F. 10x80 45 degrees (flak glass)
2) Hensoldt Wetzlar Dialyt 10X50
3) Japanese WW II Naval 7X50 (Manufacturer is “NLK”)
4) Leitz beh Kriegsmarine (type iii - rubber armoured) 7X50
5) Leitz Canada (ELCAN) 7X50 Military Model
6) Leitz Wetzlar Binuxit 8X30
7) NIFE Stockholm 7X50
8) San Giorgio Genova-Sestri ESA 6X30
9) Zeiss West Germany 7X50 B/GA T*

Also, I am researching the BOP filter conversion of the Canadian 7X50 REL binocular and REL 7X50's in general. If a member has any 7X50 REL binoculars or a BOP converted one, I would be most interested in its details such as model #, year of manufacture, number of dry air ports, serial number, presence of coated lenses, presence of yellow Admiralty arrows, weight, and any other information about its history and manufacture. To date, 77 REL 7X50 binoculars have been catalogued of which 9 are BOP filter modified. This database can be viewed here:http://home.europa.com/~telscope/temp/REL.7x50.Lagorio.pdf

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157627510112204/detail/

Hello LPT,

You are requesting quite a bit, so I will write only a little about the Binuxit. It was produced from 1927 to 1962. Post WWII models, serial numbers above about 480000, were coated. Some of the older ones exhibited a rather warm colouring, due to aging of the Canadian balsam. I have an example from 1952, which shows this. I have seen one a few years older, which did not.

Happy collecting,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

The following have been added to my collection since the last posting on November 12, 2011:

1) Bausch & Lomb (Rochester made) Zephyr 7X35
2) Emil Busch cxn Dienstglas 6X30
3) Goerz Trieder Binocle "Pernox" 6X30
4) Kern AARAU Focalpin 10 10X60
5) Kern AARAU Pizar 8X30 AR
6) Ross Stepmur 10X50
7) Carl Zeiss Jena blc U-Boat 3rd model 7X50
8) Zeiss West Germany Dialyt 7X42 B/GA T*P ClassiC
9) Zeiss 10X56B T*P* Design Selection “Night Owl”

Also, I am researching the BOP filter conversion of the Canadian 7X50 REL binocular and REL 7X50's in general. If a member has any 7X50 REL binoculars or a BOP converted one, I would be most interested in its details such as model #, year of manufacture, number of dry air ports, serial number, presence of coated lenses, presence of yellow Admiralty arrows, weight, and any other information about its history and manufacture. To date, 93 REL 7X50 binoculars have been catalogued of which 11 are BOP filter modified. This database can be viewed here:http://home.europa.com/~telscope/temp/REL.7x50.Lagorio.pdf .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/binocwpg/sets/72157628340769179/detail/

Last edited:
Wow, beautiful U-Boat binoculars! They look new. Internal focusing is just like the Leitz Trinovid.

I notice that the 10x60 Focalpin uses a wider field eyepiece than the 7x50. Looks like that eyepiece installed on the 7x50 body might make something like an 8x50 with a 57º AFOV.

Henry

LPT,
View 2 of the Focalpin, revealing the origin of the odd name, is appreciated. I guess they let engineers name things back then.

Wondrous, the U-Boat! The coatings look amazingly modern.

Thank you for sharing your collection like this.
Ron

Henry - Yes, like the Trinovid. I hadn't thought of it but most internally focusing binoculars focus by moving an objective lens not an ocular. Are there any being made today that use an ocular for internal focusing?

Ron - The red coatings have really got me stumped. I am trying to find out how they differ (other than color) from the regular blue ones. Performance-wise the ones on my U-Boat are very good - bright and almost color neutral (ever so slightly warm). I have been able to learn that they are definitely a late-war (1944/45) coating. They may be an early multi-coating. They may have been intended to be harder than the previous coatings (how successfully is open to debate) which the U-Boat binocular bears out because its lenses are coated externally as well as internally while some other German WWII binoculars I have (2 beh Porro II 7X50's) appear to have only interior coatings.

View 2 of the Focalpin, revealing the origin of the odd name, is appreciated. I guess they let engineers name things back then.

Ron,

I seem to remember you came up with this suggestion already in the Focalpin thread. Then I thought you were joking (nice association BTW) but now you're repeating it I'm not so sure about it anymore. But maybe you still are?

OK, consider this. Switzerland is a country full of rocks of considerable height. They're called mountains or alps and walking and climbing them is called alpinism. Kern made several binocular models, one of them called Alpin.
So the Focalpin is...

Renze

Ron,

I seem to remember you came up with this suggestion already in the Focalpin thread. Then I thought you were joking (nice association BTW) but now you're repeating it I'm not so sure about it anymore. But maybe you still are?

OK, consider this. Switzerland is a country full of rocks of considerable height. They're called mountains or alps and walking and climbing them is called alpinism. Kern made several binocular models, one of them called Alpin.
So the Focalpin is...

Renze
I first thought the name was an obvious reference to the Alps. Then Ron's comment convinced me otherwise - after all the binocular does have two "focal pins". Now Rene points out that Kern had other models called Alpin...
Could the name have been intended to have two meanings?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back