• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (4 Viewers)

Hi all just wondering if anyone could advise me on the route of the 4000 strong cycle race which is kicking off at Playa Muro tomorrow morning.
I have heard that there will be major road closures in North Majorca and just trying to plan a route from the airport.

Thank you

Bob

Hi Bob
I wish you luck. I've been there several times when this race is on and it can be a nightmare. You should be able to get the routes (there are three races in one) via http://www.cyclinglocations.com/mallorca-312-route
Martin

Last edited:
Hi Bob
I wish you luck. I've been there several times when this race is on and it can be a nightmare. You should be able to get the routes (there are three races in one) via http://www.cyclinglocations.com/mallorca-312-route
Martin

Martin
A Very Big Thank you for the link with the info on The Mother of all Pushbike Races,by the looks of it I should be ok until I hit junction 40 on the MA13 then I think it's a matter of Birding from the car and being patient.
Saying that I expect a massive tailback from said junction.
Mind you it could have been worse as I did have a ticket for the Sunderland V Bournemouth game.
Oh and I just found out that on our return date it's Ironman Day so the roads close early on the morning of the 13th May which means a daft o'clock departure for the airport.
Still it will be worth it in the end I am sure and great to be back on Majorca birding.

Cheers

Bob

Hi
A male Golden oriole late morning in the fig field opposite the gate to the Llenaires Hotel - a regular spot for them. c15 Bee-eaters also there and at least one RR swallow with a huge mixed hirundine flock feeding low over the same field. One Avocet feeding with the BW stilts at Albufereta early afternoon.
Graham

Final day on Mallorca apart from heading for airport at stupid o'clock to avoid bike race tomorrow. Another great day booted eagles, loads of pied flys and tawny pipits (Son Real), spotless starlings at Back of Club del Sol. Bee-eaters at Son Bosc with turtle dove.
Gull billed tern at Albufereta at water with man-made island on it. Also there was a slender wader which was probably a greenshank but it did appear to have a slender straight bill. It was seen from a newly mown field to north of the pine wood there. Due the distance and heat haze I'm not saying it's a marsh sandpiper but if anybody is down there soon it may be worth checking out and hopefully you get better views than I did. Adios.
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_9868.jpg
    IMG_9868.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_9869.jpg
    IMG_9869.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9870.jpg
    IMG_9870.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9871.jpg
    IMG_9871.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 79
Hi Brian
Glad the Edinburgh RSPB Group had a good week!
We were in Mallorca 13-27 April but didn't manage to bump into you!
We posted a report of our main sightings, but it went to the Say Hello Forum - not sure why...
Cheers
Mike & Liz Moir

Albufereta

Hi
A male Golden oriole late morning in the fig field opposite the gate to the Llenaires Hotel - a regular spot for them. c15 Bee-eaters also there and at least one RR swallow with a huge mixed hirundine flock feeding low over the same field. One Avocet feeding with the BW stilts at Albufereta early afternoon.
Graham

Thx Graham, I arrived at club del sol today so will explore reserve tomorrow. Arrived Mallorca lunch time, dumped bag and went straight out to La gola. Male & female pied flycatcher, Greenshank, kestrel. Journey to Puerto Pollence included black vulture and red kite. Plenty of swifts, swallows and House Martin's.
A very happy but tired bunny!

Last edited:
Final day on Mallorca apart from heading for airport at stupid o'clock to avoid bike race tomorrow. Another great day booted eagles, loads of pied flys and tawny pipits (Son Real), spotless starlings at Back of Club del Sol. Bee-eaters at Son Bosc with turtle dove.
Gull billed tern at Albufereta at water with man-made island on it. Also there was a slender wader which was probably a greenshank but it did appear to have a slender straight bill. It was seen from a newly mown field to north of the pine wood there. Due the distance and heat haze I'm not saying it's a marsh sandpiper but if anybody is down there soon it may be worth checking out and hopefully you get better views than I did. Adios.
Brian

Just arrived at club del sol today.....where abouts were the spotless starlings Brian please?

Hi Liz & Mike,
Strange that we never bumped into each other once when our group (RSPB Edinburgh Local Group) bumped into some birders several times! Back home now as well but a great time had by all -Mallorca still producing the goods.
Best bird of the day for us was a carrion crow near Binnissalem, seen from the motorway!
Cheers. Brian

Hi Essexbird,
You should get them from within your hotel complex sitting on the roof - that's the birds sitting on the roof, not you!
I got them from the dirt track that runs past the Can Calluruso restaurant that is situated to the south of your hotel. From that track you can see the spotless starlings on the hotel roofs and the pylons behind the hotel. We had 4 birds there yesterday. Good luck.
Brian

Hi Essexbird,
You should get them from within your hotel complex sitting on the roof - that's the birds sitting on the roof, not you!
I got them from the dirt track that runs past the Can Calluruso restaurant that is situated to the south of your hotel. From that track you can see the spotless starlings on the hotel roofs and the pylons behind the hotel. We had 4 birds there yesterday. Good luck.
Brian

Hello Essexbird,
I stayed at Club del Sol last May.
From the restaurant look at the accommodation block opposite. There is a hole above the main doorway where they nest. I saw them everyday while eating breakfast. Easy birding.

(I'm in Porto Pollenca from next Saturday again for 10 days, can't wait.)

I see you are holidaying from the same day as myself! May see you around!
Derek,

Good to bump into you both today Derek and not a Northern Ireland football top in sight! Greenshank and pied flycatchers were great. Tomorrow I'm planning Albufereta as I'm so close.

Thx to all who have posted really spotless starlings. I saw one on the roof of the hotel after dinner tonight! Photo to follow when I've worked out how to resize It?

Debbie

Last edited:
Hello Essexbird,
I stayed at Club del Sol last May.
From the restaurant look at the accommodation block opposite. There is a hole above the main doorway where they nest. I saw them everyday while eating breakfast. Easy birding.

(I'm in Porto Pollenca from next Saturday again for 10 days, can't wait.)

Just miss you Robert, I'm only here a week starting today.

Nice to meet Essex birder at La Gola I added black redstart near reception. Late stroll up the Bocquer Valley gave 2 woodchat shrike, chiffchaff, Blue Rock thrush, pied & spotted flycatcher, crag martin and sardinian warbler. Audions gull on PP beach, assume you got it?

Nice to meet Essex birder at La Gola I added black redstart near reception. Late stroll up the Bocquer Valley gave 2 woodchat shrike, chiffchaff, Blue Rock thrush, pied & spotted flycatcher, crag martin and sardinian warbler. Audions gull on PP beach, assume you got it?

Wow! That was brilliant. Will have to check gulls more carefully tomorrow, I was abit overwhelmed today by not having any proper sleep since 6:00am Friday morning!

So far from my 6th floor hotel at the Lagotel in playa de muro, 1 flamingo, 3 marble teal, drake garganey, 6 glossy ibis, 3 GW Egret, lots Avocet 2 purple heron lots if night heron and 18 RC Pochard, id only been here less than half hour. Not going to have to leave the hotel at this rate ��

So far from my 6th floor hotel at the Lagotel in playa de muro, 1 flamingo, 3 marble teal, drake garganey, 6 glossy ibis, 3 GW Egret, lots Avocet 2 purple heron lots if night heron and 18 RC Pochard, id only been here less than half hour. Not going to have to leave the hotel at this rate ��

Wow! I know where I'll be staying next time I visit the Island! I'll be round later!

Day one of four:- To avoid the cycle race we spent the afternoon at Salobrar de Campos where highlights included 100+ 'flava' wagtails, ca 20 Wood Sandpipers, 2 Temminck's Stint and a Curlew Sandpiper. We picked up a fem Redstart near Maria de la Salut and a Roller on o/head wires on the South edge of S'Albufera before being forced to make a long detour to get to Alcudia because of a residual road closure.

This am ive added gull billed tern, 4 Black Tern, possible whisked tern, (going on reserve to take a look) , turtle dove, squacco heron, stone curlew, abbarent swift, 10s of thousands of swifts. 12 glossy ibis so far

Last edited:
This am ive added gull billed tern, 4 Black Tern, possible whisked tern, (going on reserve to take a look) , turtle dove, squacco heron, stone curlew, abbarent swift, 10s of thousands of swifts. 12 glossy ibis so far
Hi Craig
I think you did well to see Black Tern as it's an uncommon passge migrant, so well worth reporting to the reception at s'Albufera.
Regarding Glossy Ibis, a group of 57 have been reported today from the road from Casablanca to Sant Jordi.
Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back