• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dipping in Scotland April 2017 (1 Viewer)

Paul Longland

Our long awaited trip to Scotland finally arrived. Capercaillie in Cairngorm and Corncrake on mull being the two main targets. However, confidence was not high following two weeks of solid northerly winds and weather forecasts leaving much to be desired.

We arrived in Aviemore on Sunday evening and were immediately struck by the lack of leaves on the trees. Undaunted, we set alarms for 4am and retired for an early night having learnt that the forecast heavy rain was now likely to be SNOW! %am Monday morning saw us at loch Garten Caper watch where we were quickly informed that a single male seen at the start of the season and a single female flypast the previous week had been the only sightings this year. Needless to say target 1 was a strike out. The day was beautiful with clear blue skys so a quick run up to cairngorm car park before breakfast was in order. The usual Ring Ouzels were perched on the picnic tables and we at least had the bonus of a flock of 6 Snow Buntings in almost summer plumage.

Unfortunately after breakfast, the promised snow arrived in bucket loads. The only option was to sit in the car at Loch garten car park and watch the feeders for Cresties.

Having decided to give up on the capers we set of early next morning for cairngorm black grouse lek viewing butt. No chance. About a mile or so past loch Morlic we ground to a halt in virgin snow and had to back up until we could find a suitable place to turn the car round. I think we must have been the only vehicle to attempt the road as later that day the gates were closed and the road shut.

Wednesday saw us head off towards Mull via Strontian. This Black Duck is a sitter said my friend. Guess what we got there, tide was out no sign of any ducks at the river mouth. A couple of mallards flew over but it was obvious we had dipped again and with a ferry to catch headed off.

Thursday and off to Iona for Corncrakes. Having been reliably informed on the ferry that they had been heard that very morning we thought that our luck was changing. Walked the entire length of the island. Apart from a flock of beautiful summer plumage golden plovers NOTHING!

A drive around the lochs on the way back to Salen at least provided a Great Northern Diver to complete the full set for the year and a ringtail Hen Harrier.

Our final day saw us on a boat trip to Lunga and Staffa. on the trip across a very pale gull sitting on the water caught our attention. A white winger for sure. Closer inspection revealed it to be an adult Iceland. AT last a lifer for me. Getting to sit within a couple of yards of the Puffins and watch their courtship and nest building activities was an something that everyone should experience at least once. A full set of Auks, Manx Shearwater and a couple of Bonxies and at least this day was shaping up. To cap the day off, we had an adult white Tailed Eagle come within a few yards of the boat. Our first adult of the trip, it was then joined by a Goldie.

So after several disappointments due to the birds just not being there, the weather and various other stuff we managed to finish the trip on a high.

The plan was to drop by Loch Feorlin on the way home for the Pied Billed Grebe. Being a known Skulker and having noted that it had only been reported once in the last week, and that a 3km hike was involved in "willies essential" conditions (and not having the pre-requisite willies) we decided that rather than dip yet again we would cut our losses and at least end on a high.

So all in all not the most successful trip but still most enjoyable and it will definitely not stop us from going again........ If only there were a couple of rogue Capers around somewhere viewable!!

I think the prevailing situation and attitudes make it unwise to attempt seeing Capers in spring or summer, I would recommend early September dawn walks in the woods, try and get in before the dog walkers and joggers, but I wouldn't know which particular areas to try these days. Last time I saw Capers this way was in Grantown Woods going in from the golf course end but this was well over ten years back and it would seem numbers have decreased and range contracted since then. But as for seeing them in spring without something akin to the old Garten Caper watch I'd say chances are slim to none.

Bad luck with the Corncrakes, might be a smidge early for them, by a couple of weeks perhaps?

Better luck next time.

Many years ago, I went to see Caper, amongst other things in Scotland, at the beginning of september. A local warden told me they would be pretty much impossible as they were in moult that time of year, and more skulking than usual. So not easy then either if that is true, (I did see a fine male, so not impossible either!)

I think the prevailing situation and attitudes make it unwise to attempt seeing Capers in spring or summer, I would recommend early September dawn walks in the woods, try and get in before the dog walkers and joggers, but I wouldn't know which particular areas to try these days. Last time I saw Capers this way was in Grantown Woods going in from the golf course end but this was well over ten years back and it would seem numbers have decreased and range contracted since then. But as for seeing them in spring without something akin to the old Garten Caper watch I'd say chances are slim to none.

Bad luck with the Corncrakes, might be a smidge early for them, by a couple of weeks perhaps?

Better luck next time.

Yes. We were told that the Loch Garten watch had been declining in the last couple of years and that the majority of known lek sites were not only supressed, but very deep in woods and mobile from year to year such that it would be nigh on impossible to set up something like the LG setup. I think the lack of Corncrakes was probably due to the adverse winds of the last couple of weeks. We were told by a couple of locals that one or two had arrived a couple of weeks back but no more since. It will probably be crawling with them next week. :-C

Many years ago, I went to see Caper, amongst other things in Scotland, at the beginning of september. A local warden told me they would be pretty much impossible as they were in moult that time of year, and more skulking than usual. So not easy then either if that is true, (I did see a fine male, so not impossible either!)

That's interesting. We got half a dozen sightings one morning in September back in the day. Maybe we were just lucky, and trying later in the year would be strategically better (but by then a lot of folk are out looking for or chasing rares instead).

yes we were told by the warden at LG that the best time of year to catch site of one was probably late august/September when the birds are not so secretive protecting nest sites and the post breeding dispersal is underway.

During our stay, we were told by a shopkeeper in Aviemore that their neighbour had one coming to his back garden every day. On further probing the address was in the same street where we were staying, on the edge of town with some woodland behind. It still seemed unlikely but thoughts of a rogue filled our heads until we came across a pheasant happily exploring under various bird tables etc for scraps of food. Ah well.:-O

Having been in the area over Easter with the family (plus the dogs) I need a return as I also dipped Ptarmigan & Cresties.

Still did manage a stunning Mountain Hare, Snow Bunting & Ring Ouzel. I think my wife has just about forgiven me for having to walk up to the Ptarmigan Station (because of the aforementioned dogs) :)

And now a fully paid up member:-O

At least nobody can say we are not consistent!

Going back up there in July but will be on Skye and Ullapool region so at least I shan't have the indignity of dipping Caper again. I am sure there will be plenty of opportunity to miss lots of other stuff though.3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back