• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experts rush to huge midge swarm at Loch Leven (1 Viewer)

.....yes one of the none biting kinds....thanks for posting though, that's one hell of a spectacle that I'd like to see - but Scotland is a bit far for me!

Errr . . . the article is about non-biting midges, not the biting ones ;)

.....yes one of the none biting kinds....thanks for posting though, that's one hell of a spectacle that I'd like to see - but Scotland is a bit far for me!

My comment was more a tongue in cheek at the thought of the little 'beaties' in my long hair

The non-biting midges or chironomids do not feed as adults and so are only mating while in the swarm.

Brought memories back of being eaten alive (nearly) a few years ago and I have never forgotten the experience at all. Biting or non biting they give me the creeps :eek!::eek!::eek!:

In my region, the hatching of chironomid midges is a great opportunity to watch renowned midge experts such as Hydrocoloeus minutus and Chlidonias sp. at work :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back