• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Liza Goddard sees Sooty Terns in Norfolk!!!. (1 Viewer)

devon.birder

According to the article in the Daily Mail Supplement yesterday while making the film Seal Morning in Norfolk in the mid-1980s Liza was given a bird book and she went off and saw "the most extraordinary things-including rare Sooty Terns". I can't recall multiple sightings of Sooty Terns in the UK so I presume what she must have seen were Black Terns unless anybody knows differently. Roger

devon.birder said:
According to the article in the Daily Mail Supplement yesterday while making the film Seal Morning in Norfolk in the mid-1980s Liza was given a bird book and she went off and saw "the most extraordinary things-including rare Sooty Terns". I can't recall multiple sightings of Sooty Terns in the UK so I presume what she must have seen were Black Terns unless anybody knows differently. Roger

Glad to hear that the Mail is maintaining its usual high standards of journalism. God knows what she saw, but they certainly were not sooty terns.

Steve

I wouldn't assume for a second that they were even terns.....or birds.....or that the quote is from her.......or anyone.............

Newspapers - just love 'em

Liza Goddard opened my school library back in the early nineties. She didn't mention anything about Sooty Terns. Suppressing scum...

marek_walford said:
Liza Goddard opened my school library back in the early nineties. She didn't mention anything about Sooty Terns. Suppressing scum...

Hey Marek, steady on. Liza was a secret fancy of mine back in the 1970s. Roger

Ranger James said:
Still doesn't excuse suppressing such valuable information. I'm with Marek - scum.

;)

James

You don't think she also saw those Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters on the Otter Estuary a few years back do you?. Roger :'D

devon.birder said:
Hey Marek, steady on. Liza was a secret fancy of mine back in the 1970s. Roger

I remember a friend of mine at school had a thing about her. We all mocked him because she was so ancient. I just had a look at her website and she was born in 1950, so she would have been about 37 at the time. Suddenly I wonder why we mocked.

devon.birder said:
You don't think she also saw those Blue-cheeked Bee-eaters on the Otter Estuary a few years back do you?. Roger :'D

Of course she did. One of only two people I believe.
I intend to start a new form of twitching, to be known as 'Goddarding'. Simply follow her round the country looking exactly where dear Lisa does. Voila - your year list gets chock full of all those lovely rarities lesser mortals couldn't hope to see.

JC

She's in good company though. Doesn't Bill Oddie confess that he once failed to recognise Black Terns on the Norfolk coast and thought they were something rarer?

Mike Johnston said:
Yes indeed. Due to copious indulgence she was oblivious to the fact that they were actually filming on Norfolk Island, Australia. Bloody loads of Sooty's there. Who's going to break the news to the poor girl? Drugs...just say no!

Ah, that expains it, thanks Mike. The newspaper article clearly says "in Norfolk" but I don't blame the lovely Liza for that error. With her voice she can wake me up any morning of the week. Roger :t:

devon.birder said:
Ah, that expains it, thanks Mike. The newspaper article clearly says "in Norfolk" but I don't blame the lovely Liza for that error. With her voice she can wake me up any morning of the week. Roger :t:
Well, actually, it doesn't. I was just talking sh*te. The golden-voiced Liza remains a Sooty-suppressing scum. :t:

Mike Johnston said:
...she was oblivious to the fact that they were actually filming on Norfolk Island, Australia. Bloody loads of Sooty's there. Who's going to break the news to the poor girl? Drugs...just say no!

That'll be it! Wasn't she there when filming Skippy, The Bush Kangaroo? :-O

Mike Johnston said:
Well, actually, it doesn't. I was just talking sh*te. The golden-voiced Liza remains a Sooty-suppressing scum. :t:

After further research I found out that the film in question was set in 1930s England so it is unlikely that Norfolk Island was used. I therefore had no option but to contact Liza to get the truth. She told me that it was Norfolk in East Anglia and she did see Sooty Terns. Howevere she was sworn to secrecy by all the local Birders who did not want a load of Twitchers running around pointing their long lenses at the Sooty Terns and possibly giving them ticks from which they could die. Liza is innocent as well as lovely. Roger o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back