• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White buzzard? (1 Viewer)

is there such thing as a white buzzard in Texas?

The term "buzzard" in the United States usually refers colloquially to species of vultures (of which there are two in Texas - Turkey Vulture and Black Vulture, neither of which are white). Any raptor you saw with white was most likely a hawk or falcon - both of which there are many different species in Texas. Can you give any specifics?

The term "buzzard" in the United States usually refers colloquially to species of vultures (of which there are two in Texas - Turkey Vulture and Black Vulture, neither of which are white). Any raptor you saw with white was most likely a hawk or falcon - both of which there are many different species in Texas. Can you give any specifics?

i took pictures. they were on a telephone pole and it was with ablack one

there were about 50 to 60 buzzards flying around. 2 stopped on the telephone pole. 1 was white one was black . i checked with my binoculars an the both looked identical

Pictures would really help if you can post them. If not, what color was the bird's head, as well as the head of the normally colored individual?

Leucism and full-on albinism can show up in any species theoretically, as they can be (leucism) or always are (albinism) the result of genetic mutations that occur randomly. I've never heard of a white vulture, but that doesn't make it impossible. I have seen a white (leucistic) Red-Tail Hawk locally.

"Buzzard" here in the southern US does usually mean a Cathartes vulture, either Black or Turkey, for you guys in the UK and other buteo-buzzard areas. |=)|

Wow--an all-white Black Vulture, or that's what it looks like! Quite a find (though I wish the photo were better).

Last edited:
I'm assuming you saw it fly and it looked similar in shape to the others? I just want to rule out an all-white feral pigeon. Also, what do people think Black vs. Turkey? Short tail makes me think black, but it's hard to get a grip on this distance shot. Very interesting photo, Gabester - thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back