• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (2 Viewers)

Two days, two excellent birds:

67 : Green woodpecker...

Another one not even annual here, but this a real performer, singing for minutes and finishing right by my window giving great views.

The Cardigan Ring Billed Gull was seen lower down the estuary today so it must have flown past the house. The distance from its usual site and where it was seen today is about a mile. I've just spent three quarters of an hour sat upstairs, drinking red wine, eating crisps, listening to Leinster thrash the blues the only downside no R-B-Gull.

Added house martin and great spot (61). The Shag has been seen fishing each of the last three high tides across the road.

Whilst eating lunch yesterday I spotted a hawk displaying and jumped to the conclusion it was a male gos.Once I got outside it seemed more likely to be a female sprawk however although it would have been easy to string it as a Gos. Never seen a female sprawk flap about and semi-rollercoaster like this one.

Still..3 Redpolls on the feeders (a late date/grdn. record)..plus my 2nd Swallow of the year going NWW over the house. 18 species in the grdn.this am (needless to say no Passer domesticus!..if only to hear their chirps!). Interestingly have had my 10th CBuzzard of the year so far (ystrdy). Quite impressive when I only had 5 in 2011, and none in 2010! with Kestrel which is the rarest of the regular BOP's by far..ie lucky to get any (historically) per annum...showing 15 times!! already this year. If only ''the lost'' passerines would return as quickly.

I'll start today as I'm a newbie

seen this morning in back "garden"

Great Tit - Nuthatch - Crow - (Common) Buzzard - Redstart - Cirl Bunting - Blue Tit - Blackbird - Black Redstart

Last edited:
Redstart

Here's an image - been around for a couple of weeks - the Black Redstart came a week or so earlier to that

SW France - (not UK)

Attachments

• Redstart_2.jpg
    Redstart_2.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Redstart_3.jpg
    Redstart_3.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Redstart_4.jpg
    Redstart_4.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Bill, we have contributors to this this thread who hail from various locations around the globe. It is great to have you adding the birds you are getting in your garden/yard!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA

Bit out of date, a sudden arrival of warm sun ...16 C today, snow almost totally gone now, butterflies and frogs active.

Significant arrivals - White Stork on nest in garden, and neighbours. Dunnocks back at both feeding stations, a good one to get as potential exists to miss this bird. Also Black Stork over at Labanoras (virtually guaranteed on an annual basis), and contender for bird of the week, a male Reed Bunting at Labanoras - only my fifth record at this site, all but one in April (but I expect colonisation in near future as the beavers ever open the forest into near open lake)

Labanoras.

56. Teal
57. Black Stork
58. Green Sandpiper
59. Tawny Owl
60. Dunnock
61. Reed Bunting

Vilnius.

32. Wood Pigeon
33. Dunnock
34. White Wagtail

Attachments

• Black Stork lab 1.jpg
    Black Stork lab 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 23
Gorgeous weather for two weeks meant no watching the trees from my study or standing out the front, so nothing new on the bird front (I'm probably missing stuff through sheer laziness...)

However torrential rain once more today and high onshore South-Easterlies; will have to bring my bins to work tomorrow as there will most likely be Frigatebirds, Noddies, Bridled and Sooty Terns and maybe even something really good like a Southern Giant Petrel in the bay tomorrow.

I was out the front this morning as it was dry but heavily overcast and still a bit squally. An Eastern Great Egret flew just above the trees in a NE direction. This is long overdue, normally being the common Egret I record over my place. This year it's been relegated to third behind Little and Intermediate. Rather more interesting however was a distant Tern to the South that must've been blown inland. It was either a Sooty or a Bridled but being distant and in poor light, defied formal ID much to my chagrin. These pelagic Terns only come inshore after strong onshore winds usually and are to be expected. I was hoping for more avian titbits however but was left disappointed, and the cyclone season is over now...

Even the Nade was disappointing, though some distant Terns in the bay were either of these species joining a more identifiable Black-naped Tern closer inshore; another good record.

80) Eastern Great Egret.
80½) Sooty/Bridled Tern. Can't really count it if I can't ID it...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back