• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Eggs On Ebay (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan G

I've noticed a lot of birds eggs being sold (again) on Ebay, but one seller in particular is displaying all her eggs as such:

''A single Osprey egg.

This egg is a reproduction for the modern day collector, however, it is anatomically correct in size, shape, weight, colour and lustre.

Complete with blow holes!''

What's actually mean't by the above?

Are these genuine reproductions (as suggested) or is this maybe some way to getting birds eggs on Ebay - a secret code for eggers, if you like?

If it wasn't for the fact they're going for £15 each, I'd be inclined to bid for one myself - that way I'd be able to establish what they actually are and perhaps take some action against the seller.

Alan

ps: A search for Janets327 will bring up the articles.

I found the seller but not the osprey eggs although there were other bird eggs up there (supposedly fake). If have concerns contact eBay in regards to the seller, and normally they will react quickly to remove whatever items are being sold that are inappropriate and if neccessary take further action. If you just suspect that the eggs been sold are real, there is no harm in contacting eBay to see what their response is.

There is no real way to tell if the eggs are real or not from the pictures.

I think the blow hole is a tiny hole made at the bottom of the egg to remove what is inside...why this would be on a reproduction though I have no idea!

These are replicas of the real thing and are hard to tell apart.

Blow holes are where the contents are either blown out or sucked out through the said hole. The holes are made by drilling through the shell and are usually on the side or top and bottom.

John

Ebay Birds Eggs

This should not be overlooked.We all know what lengths egg collectors will go to,in search of nests and this could easily be a way of selling stolen wild birds eggs.The "eggers" have their own systems of communication and this could easily be one of them.Lets face it,who other than egg collectors would go onto ebay looking to buy birds eggs ? All this crap about "eggers" not doing it for financial rewards is claptrap.If theres a few pounds in it,you will always get someone willing to do it.Is there anyway these dealings can be investigated ? Has anyone else noticed that most eggs for sale are schedule 1 species ?

I don't just get why supposed 'replica' birds eggs have blow holes in them?

To me these seem likely to be actual eggs, being disguised as replicas.

About to email RSPB & Ebay - let them do the investigative work.

Alan

In fairness this has beenm looked at before - by eBay, by the RSPB and by Forum members.

I agree that we should be vigilant but equally must remain open to the fact that some people enjoy owning these items (the fakes I mean) and that some craftsmen enjoy making them.

I wouldn't be overly concerned by the fact that they have "blow holes" - if you bought a model "Flying Scotsman" you'd expect it to have a funnel!

Alan G said:
I don't just get why supposed 'replica' birds eggs have blow holes in them?

Authenticity - it's as simple as that. Before the days when egg collecting was banned, eggs were routinely 'blown' to prevent their contents going bad and producing hydrogen sulphide gas - also known as bad egg gas.

To me these seem likely to be actual eggs, being disguised as replicas.

What would be the point? If you disguise an egg it's no longer the real thing. I would also suggest that at £15 each for Osprey eggs they can only be fakes. Because there are so few of them, surely the real thing would be worth much more than this, wouldn't it?

Anthony Morton said:
I'm intrigued. Based only on a photograph, how can you possibly tell with any degree of certainty that the eggs being offered are real?

I firmly believe that these eggs are replica. The Golden Eagle egg looks as though it's been painted with a yard brush!

Calm down, they are only replicas.

John.

Anthony Morton said:
I'm intrigued. Based only on a photograph, how can you possibly tell with any degree of certainty that the eggs being offered are real?

Based on personal experience of selling fake goods on ebay I'm 99% sure they are real. It's just the way it is written, I certainly couldn't tell from a photo.

Alan G said:
I've noticed a lot of birds eggs being sold (again) on Ebay, but one seller in particular is displaying all her eggs as such:

''A single Osprey egg.

This egg is a reproduction for the modern day collector, however, it is anatomically correct in size, shape, weight, colour and lustre.

Complete with blow holes!''

What's actually mean't by the above?

Are these genuine reproductions (as suggested) or is this maybe some way to getting birds eggs on Ebay - a secret code for eggers, if you like?

If it wasn't for the fact they're going for £15 each, I'd be inclined to bid for one myself - that way I'd be able to establish what they actually are and perhaps take some action against the seller.

Alan

ps: A search for Janets327 will bring up the articles.
Like fake fur coats, fake tiger and lion skin rugs, fake ivory, fake snake skin, fake eggs... fake guns, fake who knows what else... the owning of any fake item is hardly a way forward as it keeps alive the idea that the 'real' thing is a very much more attractive proposition and worth having if you are willing to take risks or can afford it.

It's not easy to suggest that people stop doing what pleases them these days, but this penchant for fakery is not helping one iota.

Anthony Morton said:

I am also intrigued.Based only on a photograph,how can you possibly tell with any degree of certainty that the eggs being offered are FAKE ?

Ben Nevis said:
I am also intrigued.Based only on a photograph,how can you possibly tell with any degree of certainty that the eggs being offered are FAKE ?

That's the whole point, I can't - and neither can anyone else. If you read my post again, however, you will find that I have not made any claims one way or the other.

On the other hand, common sense dictates that because Osprey eggs are almost as scarce as the proverbial hens' teeth, a genuine one would be sure to command considerably more than the mere £15 each quoted in the posting which began this thread.

I have to agree with Anthony, £15 seems way too little for such an illegal rarity. Surely a real osprey egg changes hands for several thousands?
Worth contacting ebay about, but I would suggest not worth any undue worry.
James

Ranger James said:
I have to agree with Anthony, £15 seems way too little for such an illegal rarity. Surely a real osprey egg changes hands for several thousands?

Not a comment on the authenticity of the eggs in question, but I don't think the price is an indicator either way - though rare in the UK (and thus the price should be higher than £15), Ospreys are not quite so rare in many other parts of Europe (and world). For example here in Eastern Europe - two or three eggs from a single nest would represent quite a good income (a week's wage) for someone so desiring to do this - and, once collected, there is little in the way of an active market out here, so not difficult to see them ending up in Western Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back