• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (26 Viewers)

can be quite difficult to get good views of them on the deck. Always worth checking them though, as it is a good time for Rock pipits.
B :)John

But not for water pipits that's for sure ;) Now I know meadow pipits I might notice rock pipits but only if they are as brazen as this lot was.

ps hope you have recovered after the last two work parties:t:

Just about :-O. Couldn't make last Tues because of work but should be there next week.

Paul

We're just on our way back from Shetland - now on the overnight ferry back to Aberdeen. We've had a good week up here, having seen one American Buff-bellied Pipit, two Olive-backed Pipits, two Citrine Wagtails, two Isabelline (Daurian) Shrikes - including one adult (a 'plumage tick'), one Alpine Swift, one Black-headed Bunting, three Little Buntings, two juv Pallid Harriers, three Common Rosefinches, one Red-backed Shrike, one Red-breasted Flycatcher (a male in good plumage - with a red throat), one American Golden Plover, loads of Yellow-browed Warblers and one Barred Warbler. Plus we saw a Semipalmated Sandpiper and a Black Scoter around Aberdeen on our way up. Looks like we missed the Xbills at Upton though. I should be back birding the local patch on Monday.

Last edited:
We're just on our way back from Shetland - now on the overnight ferry back to Aberdeen. We've had a good week up here, having seen one American Buff-bellied Pipit, two Olive-backed Pipits, two Citrine Wagtails, two Isabelline (Daurian) Shrikes - including one adult (a 'plumage tick'), one Alpine Swift, one Black-headed Bunting, three Little Buntings, two juv Pallid Harriers, three Common Rosefinches, one Red-backed Shrike, one Red-breasted Flycatcher (a male in good plumage - with a red throat), one American Golden Plover, loads of Yellow-browed Warblers and one Barred Warbler. Plus we saw a Semipalmated Sandpiper and a Black Scoter around Aberdeen on our way up. Looks like we missed the Xbills at Upton though. I should be back birding the local patch on Monday.

Welcome back mate, I'll try and get you something tomorrow

Sounds like the four of you had a good time, Dave. Some nice passerines there mate.

Yeah, no lifers unfortunately but some good views of some great birds. Looking forward to seeing what the water levels on the flashes are looking like - has there been much rain?

Yeah, no lifers unfortunately but some good views of some great birds. Looking forward to seeing what the water levels on the flashes are looking like - has there been much rain?

Had a decent bit of rain overnight again up the road, and the temperature had dropped down quite a bit the last couple of days..however the forcast for the next few days is dry and 20 degrees..at this rate the next significant watering will be in the form of snow:-C

Had a decent bit of rain overnight again up the road, and the temperature had dropped down quite a bit the last couple of days..however the forcast for the next few days is dry and 20 degrees..at this rate the next significant watering will be in the form of snow:-C

Thanks for that cheery thought !

Good to see you for 'mud watch' this morning Mark! Despite conditions there was a lot of movement of birds. Lots of Meadow Pipit, 2 Yellowhammer at the Flashes, 7 Siskin, 2 Redpoll, up to 20 Skylark and groups of 2 to 10 Redwing at various times. Me and Dave J saw a probable Dunlin over the Moors and a couple of Snipe over behind the hide on the Flashes.
Spending a few minutes on the 'platform' to the tower hide on the flashes was quite productive. The new hide could do with a large platform extension. Maybe one for the workparty to 'pimp up' ! It's amazing what you miss when you're in the hide8-P

Cheers Gert, nice to see you today. Popped over to the Moors and decided to spend half hour in the concrete hide. A common Snipe showed well in the middle channel and further out this gull which I was liking for a 1st Winter Common Gull ?

Attachments

• IMG_1947-1_cg.jpg
    IMG_1947-1_cg.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 72
did an afternoon with Crofty junior (oriole boy).
First at the Moors, were we saw the following:
GCG 6, Shoveler 24 (down from 48 4th Oct)...this is about the same as last year when numbers strangely declined. Previous years would normally see an increase into Novemeber:eek!: Teal 48 almost all feeding in the scrape, Tufted c30+, Pochard 6, Cormorant 14, Mute swan 6, Snipe 3, Lapwing 60+, kingfisher 2 in scrape,
Chiffchaff and goldcrest along east track and another on north moors trail.

At the Flashes:
Teal 12, Curlew 29, Lapwing 20, Snipe 1 heard, BHG 670 roosted
Little Owl called from sewage works,
Meadow pipit 2 or 3 around grassy areas, Redpoll 12 flew out of the hen pool silver birches, mistle thrush 2 flew south, SWALLOW 8 moved south

Last edited:
Saw the 4 Wigeon lunchtime only counted 28 Shoveler but from West hide. Rat active under feeders disappearing in hole just to side of main table. Walked North Moors as well but no sign of Cetti's.
Hedge watch at the Flashes most productive as Flashes v quiet. 4 male Yellowhammer 3 Gt Spot Woodpeckers in hedge was the best I could manage before the wind threatened to demolish the hide before its due to be replaced, any news on dates I did see Trust pickup parked on side of Sailing lake.
2nd Flash still bone dry I know we have had no significant rain but the 1st and 3rd flash still have decent levels. Is the the theory of a dried up/diverted salt spring looking more likely. If its just down to evaporation the Trust will have to get a bulldozer in and increase the depth if this is going to happen every year or we will end up loosing the Avocets!

Saw the 4 Wigeon lunchtime only counted 28 Shoveler but from West hide. Rat active under feeders disappearing in hole just to side of main table. Walked North Moors as well but no sign of Cetti's.
Hedge watch at the Flashes most productive as Flashes v quiet. 4 male Yellowhammer 3 Gt Spot Woodpeckers in hedge was the best I could manage before the wind threatened to demolish the hide before its due to be replaced, any news on dates I did see Trust pickup parked on side of Sailing lake.
2nd Flash still bone dry I know we have had no significant rain but the 1st and 3rd flash still have decent levels. Is the the theory of a dried up/diverted salt spring looking more likely. If its just down to evaporation the Trust will have to get a bulldozer in and increase the depth if this is going to happen every year or we will end up loosing the Avocets!

Hi Trevor - the latest update from the Trust is that they have yet to receive a response to their planning application from Wychavon DC so I imagine we are now looking at November at the earliest.

In terms of the water level at the Flashes I just think we need to hold our nerve over the next few months. I suspect that dredging (a) wouldnt get the approval of Natural England and (b) would remove a fertile layer of mud which would contain many eggs / larvae of insects that form the basic food supply of the breeding birds.

Nice 1 Trev
I haven't even seen a yellowhammer this year .
Re dredging : we have done a little of what you suggest , by de-silting the old ditches we had created many years ago. . But like Phil say's the rain will come ...I hope:eek!:
The next work party will see us dig out some of the ditches closer to the hide, so we will get some waders soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back