• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late Lesser Whitethroats - SW England (1 Viewer)

Laurie93

Hello,

I saw a Lesser Whitethroat on the 14th November in Plymouth, and since then I’ve been seeing quite a few more sightings of them on birdguides across the South West, the latest being today (24th November).
Is this usual for there to be so many so late? and why might this be happening?

Thanks
Laurie

Hello,

I saw a Lesser Whitethroat on the 14th November in Plymouth, and since then I’ve been seeing quite a few more sightings of them on birdguides across the South West, the latest being today (24th November).
Is this usual for there to be so many so late? and why might this be happening?

Thanks
Laurie

My theory backed up by no evidence at all,is that they are not late british birds but european birds migrating southwest to winter,like many Blackcaps now do.Who knows in twenty years time they could be regular winter visitors?

Pete.

Nice idea Pete, let's hope so.
In the meantime: they are eastern birds migrating round the E end of the Med.
Turning up here at this time of year could well be vagrants, possibly from further east (there are some recent threads here concerning poss halimodendri etc).
Could be worth your grilling these birds, or maybe not, up to you ...

Are Lesser's hardier birds than Common Whitethroats? They appear to be recorded later in the UK .....that is based on information what I come across.

Good question - they certainly seem to be. I wonder if they can switch their diet better, rather like Blackcaps. I've certainly seen LW taking berries. And they occasionally come to suet feeders in gardens too - i failed to see a presumed halimodendri doing just that in Cornwall. When i were't lad, it was Siberian - 'blythi' - which were occasionally reported in winter...?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back