• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 E II vs Contemporary Binos (1 Viewer)

Wow - I have to say that is an amazing price for new EII's delivered. Even if you didn't like them, after Tristate sells out that will probably be the used floor price - hard to loose on those.

Almost tempts me to buy a pair!

The E IIs look like they are currently on back order at Tri-State; I'll give them a call tomorrow to inquire further. Maybe they special order the product from Japan? They seem to be the best choice for American consumers at the moment, as they probably have a decent enough return policy along with superior pricing.

Hello Perseid28. I've bought a couple of times from Tristate and both transactions went smoothly. When I bought the E2, it was through Tristate's ebay store, so I had the additional protections offered by ebay in case there were any problems (there weren't any problems). I'm aware of the reseller ratings issues with this store, and they did give me some pause. But, as I said, my transactions went smoothly. It's always best to be a bit careful with most of the NYC camera stores. Good luck!

Well I gave Tristate a call this morning and the sales rep said the EII is out of stock and won't be available from the store in the future either. I guess I'll go with Amazon then.

I'm surprised there aren't more retailers selling this as a gray market product though; it seems to be a pretty common practice for camera lenses and such.

Subzero888, post 24,
Jan van Daalen transferred your question about the low (75% at 550 nm) transmission values I have measured some time ago in the Nikon EII as published in my test report on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. I promised on this forum to reinvestigate that since that value may be too low. Therefore I started looking for another sample of the Nikon EII and when we found one we re-measured the light transmission and the values in this sample were with 85,1% roughly 10% higher then in the first investigated sample. As I had explained I do not know why we found the lower values in sample 1 and since we do not have it any more I can not find out what the problem was.
I will address the matter and reformulate the test report.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gigs, I just apologized to Jan for sending him the PM meant for you. No idea what happened there.

Thanks for testing the EII again and finding that the transmission rate to be higher. Even at 85% which is low compared to the Habicht, everyone who uses the EII is amazed by the brightness and clarity of view. Yesterday I was in Austin, TX looking at boats and revelers on Lake Travis and the Colorado river (not the one that carved the Grand canyon). The EII's super wide FOV and DOF is amazing to use over water if you only you can avoid getting sprayed.

The collection of stuff you sell in your store is wonderful. If at all I make it to the Netherlands some day I'll try to visit your store and buy een paar wandelschoenen.

Subzero888, post 46
Thank you for your response to my post 45. To clarify things: Jan van Daalen owns the binocular-shoe store you like so much and I am an independent scientist, who sometimes perform binocular/ telescope tests for the general public , which are published on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. That is part of a so-called science-shop concept in our country. I will tell Jan that you like his store a lot.
With a transmissionof 85% at 550 nm of the Nikon EII it is still 11% lower than the transmission of the 8x30 Habicht, which scores 96% at 550 nm. That difference clearly shows when the binoculars are compared certainly at slightly lower light intensities. Both binoculaars are in my perception pleasant instruments allthough the housing of the EII is a little too thick and short for my hands. Enjoy your EII a lot since that is after all the fun of a good binocular.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back