• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Martial Eagle attacks Kori Bustard in South Africa (1 Viewer)

zoltannemeth

Hungary
While I was searching the net for my bustard studies, I came across the first edition of "Bustard Beat".
It has an interesting photo of a Martial Eagle attacking a male Kori Bustard (the article doesn't mention that it's a male, but the big size difference and the black markings on the bustard's neck suggest it's a male). I thought it would be interesting to post here.

The story behind the photo is the following (taken from the paper, originally written by Rose Marie Barker):

"We came round a corner at the Khalagadi Frontier Park and saw a Martial Eagle attack a Kori Bustard breaking its wing. The eagle then proceeded to attack another five times with the bustard retaliating and causing blood marks on its leg. Eventually the eagle flew away and the bustard walked down to the riverbed bleeding badly. The next morning it was being eaten by a jackal.
What is strange is that 2 km down the riverbed there were at least 200 baby
springbok, some still with afterbirth attached, which would have made a much easier meal for the eagle".

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 674
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back