• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Greek Islands (1 Viewer)

markgriff

markgriff
I'm planning to go to one of the Greek Islands for a week in September. (Haven't decided which one yet!) Can anyone recommend a resort where there are some good birdwatching locations within walking distance of the hotel?

I dont think you will go far wrong if you try Lesvos. I stayed at the Kalloni II hotel in Skala Kalloni, plenty of birding within walking distance, you can hire a car for other parts of the island. I biked a lot and found it most enjoyable.

I can't disagree with John. I have been to quite a few Greek Islands and none compare to Lesvos. The last time I went there was at the end of August 1997, beginning of September (I was there when Diana died) and I had a superb time. Mind you I did drive to all the 4 corners of the island and all points in-between.

3 Questions.

1. Are you hiring a car?
2. Are you going on your own?
3. Is this an ordinary holiday with a bit of birding whilst you are there or a birding holiday?

If the answer to number 1 is yes then that does open up a few more islands as there are some cracking birding spots around but you need a car to get to them. If not, and walking is your only means of transport, then Lesvos is the place.

If the answer to number 2 is yes then at least you will have the freedom to come and go as you please. If someone else is going with you what are their considerations? What do they like doing?

Number 3's answer will basically determine what type of holiday you are looking for. If it's a birding holiday Lesvos will fulfill or your dreams. If it's an ordinary holiday (and combined with No. 2) you are going with someone else, Lesvos might not be the place to go.

Give us a bit more of an idea of the type of holiday you are looking for and who, if anybody, will be travelling with you, together with their preferences.

I have experience of a few islands as well as mainland Greece and so have quite a few other members. Armed with all the information I'm sure some good suggestions will come from other forum members.

Reader said:
3 Questions.

1. Are you hiring a car?
2. Are you going on your own?
3. Is this an ordinary holiday with a bit of birding whilst you are there or a birding holiday?

Give us a bit more of an idea of the type of holiday you are looking for and who, if anybody, will be travelling with you, together with their preferences.

I have experience of a few islands as well as mainland Greece and so have quite a few other members. Armed with all the information I'm sure some good suggestions will come from other forum members.

As much as I would like it to be, it's not going to be a 'birding holiday' as my wife is a non-birder. So I am trying to reach my annual compromise of finding a resort which has the beach, the tavernas and the gift shops..... along with some good birding on the doorstep.
Lesvos was the first island to spring to mind when I thought about birding in Greece but I don't know if it offers the compromise needed for a holiday with a non-birder.
I may hire a car for a couple of days but was ideally looking a resort which had a couple of good birding spots within walking distance.
Any suggestions of specific resorts / hotels would help me out.

Cheers,

Samos is one to look at. We stayed in Samos town and instead of hiring a car we used the local bus service which was really good. All the buses start off from the bus station at the back of the harbour.

jaycee said:
Samos is one to look at. We stayed in Samos town and instead of hiring a car we used the local bus service which was really good. All the buses start off from the bus station at the back of the harbour.

Jaycee,

Where there any particular spots in Samos which were reliable for good birding - what did you see out there?

Cheers,

Skalla kalloni does'nt offer a great deal to the non birder but plenty of birding within walking distance, if you want a compromise you could try staying at either Molyvos or Petra both are more tourist oriented but there is less birding within walking distance. If you want to hire a car try Alfa car www.alfarentacar.gr email [email protected](mihalis armenakis) i have used them many times (pre booking via the internet )and they have always been very reliable and a good price and good cars

happy holidays

simon B :)

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
I'm just back from a 2 week holiday in Lesvos; a family holiday with a non-birding wife, two aggressively anti-birding kids & the mother-in-law (god knows how I got talked into that one!). I hired a car for 2 weeks & would suggest that on Lesvos there are so many great beaches & beautiful villages that a car is a must. Its a great family holiday venue as long as you are not looking for all night clubs,raves or waterparks. The best resort to stay in is Skala Kalloni which has a number of excellent Tavernas with great food. Most of the local hotels are good-esp. The Kalloni II, the Malemi, the Pasiphae & the Pela.
I got into the habit or rising very-early around 6am which proved remarkably easy to do as it was cool(relatively), quiet & with beautiful light. I would bird till 9:15 returning to catch the last of the hotel breakfast then would slot into the family's plans for the day. As a result my birding activities were very well-tolerated. ;)
Often I would snatch an hour or two in the evening as well if no one objected. My main aim was bird photography & though the numbers & range of species on Lesvos in summer is much less than in spring I am sure it is still the best summer venue for Greek island birding. This summer was our second on Lesvos, having been there last year in the first 2 weeks of August (this year it was the first 2 weeks in july-start of local school hols here). Over the 2 visits I have seen about 108-110 different species -many of which are pictured on my Bird Forum gallery. If you wish further info please get in touch but do look at Lesvos seriously -you could have a great birding trip without the birding impinging on the family holiday.
I have always meant to write a "Lesvos in summer" trip report as I feel it's a great venue for the family birder who is restricted to high summer hols with constraints on birding time but I'm not sure that there would be sufficient interest.
Best wishes,
Steve

I would fully endorse Steve G's comments. My holidays are always totally birding holidays so in that respect I find it hard to wear the tourist hat but Lesvos does have some incredibly beautiful spots but you do need a car to get to them.

If you are only hiring a car for a couple of days then you have to consider if your wife would like a resort like Skalla Kalloni. It has a few gift shops (or had 7 years ago) some excellent taverna's, it also had the most wonderful bakery there. The bread, cakes and pies were to die for. The beach was quite good and the sea is in a very large lagoon that is about 13 miles from the actual lagoon entrance to the sea. This means that virtually no waves, very shallow for quite a way out and always very warm.

To be honest though I would consider hiring a car for quite a few days more. Lesvos is the 3rd largest Greek Island. The roads are very good but better still they are very quiet. You can drive for miles without seeing another bird.

I can't answer for other islands that I haven't visited but the ones that I have could be quite hard work, at the time of year you are travelling, without a car. Those I have visited are Kos, Kefalonia, Corfu, Lefkas, Paxos, as well as the Greek mainland and all definitiel need transport to get the best out of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back