• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greek peeps (3 Viewers)

Nickk

Please help with ID. Photos taken a couple of weeks ago in Lesbos, Greece. Thank you.

Attachments

• Greek-UFO265.jpg
    Greek-UFO265.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Greek-UFO395.jpg
    Greek-UFO395.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Greek-UFO422.jpg
    Greek-UFO422.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Greek-UFO430.jpg
    Greek-UFO430.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Greek-UFO455.jpg
    Greek-UFO455.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 161
Hi Nick

Nice Stint shot.

1.Ruff
2.Spotted Redshank
3.Little Stints
4.Greenshank
5. Wood Sandpiper
6.Grey Plover

Nick,

I'd not argue with Deja-vu - but I was stumped by 5 & 6 which I thought were the same bird and just looked wrong for Wood Sandpiper - almost looking like a short billed Stilt Sandpiper (very unlikely in Lesvos!).

I'm not sure about 2 either - the de-curved bill suggests Curlew Sandpiper to me.

I agree with the Little Stints (and the quality of the shot!), butdid wonder if the bill on 4 was fine enough for Marsh Sandpiper?

Rob Smallwood said:
I'm not sure about 2 either - the de-curved bill suggests Curlew Sandpiper to me.
Spotted Redshanks have a subtle curve near the very bill tip, and Curlew Sandpiper would not have a two-colour bill.

1. is this really a ruff? maybe i'm not used to see pics of flying r. but it looks very slim and long-ended, almost like a baird's sand (not saying it is one, bill's too long).
2. definitely spotshank on typical head markings (lore, super etc)
3. little stints adults moulting
4. greenshank
5. wood sand

lou salomon said:
1. is this really a ruff? maybe i'm not used to see pics of flying r. but it looks very slim and long-ended, almost like a baird's sand (not saying it is one, bill's too long).
2. definitely spotshank on typical head markings (lore, super etc)
3. little stints adults moulting
4. greenshank
5. wood sand

I'd agree on these don't feel confident on the first one as well.I'll leave this to the experts

Cheers!

Dimitris

1) Not sure
2) I agree with Spotted Redshank - I think the "decurved bill" is s trick of the small size of the bird in the shot and the resultant "low res" nature when zooming in to try and see detail.
3) Yes for little stint. I don't know if anyone agrees, but a nice technique I use to seperate from Little Stint, if the shot is side on, the space between the tope of the eye and the crown - there is space for one more eye in Little stint, but 1.5 - 2 in Red-necked - i.e. more "head space".
4) Greenshank....... In my "youth" I have mis-identified more than my fair share of Greenshanks as possible Godwits based on the larger bill in my excitement to see a Godtiw - that bill is too long and heavy for a Marsh Sandpiper.
5) Wood Sandpiper is ok and I think 6 is also probably wood, but the photos are a bit low res.

Based on the extensive dark in the underwing, number 1 can't be a Ruff. Wood Sand for me. I think the angle and light is hiding the superC.

Last edited:
doug_newman said:
1) Does seem ot have a Ruff sort of feel to it looking at its shape in flight but I would hardly say it is conclusive.

i don't like the contrast between breast and belly for ruff. structurally this isn't a ruff for me.
edit: ok, possible for a juv: buff breast, white belly, legs extending forming "the long rear end"
others?

tom mckinney said:
Based on the extensive dark in the underwing number 1 can't be a Ruff. Wood Sand for me. I think the angle and light is hiding the superC.

still too contrasting breast: in wood it's more transitional, but shape is more likely for wood i agree.

Can't see anything other than a Ruff for the first one. Have to agree with comments regarding the last one though in that it is the same bird (A Wood Sand) the smaller photo looked long dark legged and that stonking super added to the fact that 'd just got up ;)

Mark

Thanks for the input. Insert photo is the same bird as in Pic #5. Sorry for the confusion.

ps. I was lucky enough to get a few good shots of Little Stints. I will provide a link later on today. They seemed fairly common. Is that the case in the UK as well?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back