• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avocets A-Plenty! (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Had a great days birding today. Not many species seen, but the fact that i saw my first Avocet, was such a great feeling. I visited the Marshside Reserve, Southport, Merseyside. The day was very dull, windy and wet. At the entrance was the notice board, recording 24 Avocet having been seen. I counted 13. They spent much of the day over on another pool, but occasionally came over to the hide, feeding and mating. (Christine will tell you about my habit of capturing breeding pairs engaging in 'it'........ :eek!: ;) )

There were plenty of Black-tailed Godwit too, a Yellow Wagtail, Merlin and a Little Stint.

Regarding the Avocet, i do know that a couple of birds bred at this reserve over the last couple of years, raising, i think, about 7 chicks. For the reserve to have 24 birds arrive already this year, is such good news. Worthy of anyones plans for a visit.

tracker

Nice one "Tracker" - although some may pass through on thei way to Leighton Moss let's hope that plenty stay and continue this colonisation of the North-west.

Given that Avocet will struggle to move north of the Humber on the east coast, it seems probable that the movement up the North-west coast could continue for a while yet?

Glad the avocet are doing so well. They are always a pleasure to see and the young birds really do look cute.

Rob Smallwood said:
Given that Avocet will struggle to move north of the Humber on the east coast,
I reckon they'll do OK on Teescide. And if the RSBP could be persuaded to buy land in Northumberland (which they've been historically very averse to for some strange reason), they could be attracted here too.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
And if the RSBP could be persuaded to buy land in Northumberland (which they've been historically very averse to for some strange reason)

Michael

They haven't found my home county on the map yet, either

Is 'Teescide' a Freudian slip, btw, Michael - I hope you're not trying to do away with it!

Last edited:
Adey Baker said:
Is 'Teescide' a Freudian slip, btw, Michael - I hope you're not trying to do away with it!
Not a slip at all . . . it is famous for being the most heavily polluted area in Britain.

Have to confess, it does get some good birds though, like the Two-headed Sandpiper by the ICI Wilton Works, and the Luminous Warbler by Hartlepool Nuclear Power Station

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back