• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Bird" as a Verb (1 Viewer)

I don't support the recurring narrative expressed on BF that the English language (as written / spoken by the English) is either intrinsically superior to, or under threat from, American cultural imperialism.

Agree. But I still am not going to call a skua a jaeger :)

I think if we can 'bird' (which I think we should be able to, if for no other reason than it sounds indefinably cooler than the 'birdwatching' I used to do as a youth)...then we ought to be able to 'bring' or 'take' along a friend when we do so in an interchangeable manner.

Although I have my pet hate Atlanticisms ('combo' being pretty close to top of the list), I don't support the recurring narrative expressed on BF that the English language (as written / spoken by the English) is either intrinsically superior to, or under threat from, American cultural imperialism. It is an unfortunate characteristic of the English to assume that their version of the language is the only 'correct' one. American English contains many words and spellings which can claim at least as old a provenance as those currently used in UK - 'sidewalk', 'turnpike', 'gray' etc. It seems a little churlish to focus on the neologisms - the combos and the 'actioning', especially when we are equally enthusiastic adopters on this side of the pond.

I think in doing so we overlook a greater threat to cultural and linguistic diversity on our own doorstep, which is the loss of regional accents and vocabulary within the UK, promoted by the pervasiveness of domestic media and its 'estuarine' southern English accents. I want to continue to get a 'spelk' in my finger (well, I don't really, they can be quite painful...), and describe something as 'femer' rather than fragile.

Like buttion ;)

By the way folks, if its all getting too much the antidote was given on post 16.

We may as well just start calling 'up'- 'down' after all, they did it with 'bad' which it seems means good.

How will a teacher mark your kids English exam if they use 'bring' when they should use 'take' or write 'theater' istead of 'theatre'?

As I said before, pronunciation and spelling is one thing, but words have established meanings and the wrong usage is being allowed to creep in unchallenged. No one has suggested that English-English is 'superior'. If I've come across as if I have, that has not been my intention but the English I grew up with is not being lost, it's being given away, without a fight, to some, it does matter.

Even BBC presenters now say 'normalcy', the word is normality for goodness sake!

Off to take my manstruation supplement.....:-C

PS If Notts County lose tonight, expect me to be in an even worse mood.........:-O

A

Agree. But I still am not going to call a skua a jaeger :)

Agree too, sounds like an expensive cardigan...plus there is no logic for using two different English names for the same genus.

We may as well just start calling 'up'- 'down' after all, they did it with 'bad' which it seems means good.

A

I hate to point it out, but 'getting down' was a thankfully now archaic term for having a good time in the '60s and '70s. You could find some consolation in the fact that both it and 'bad = good' are probably both considered completely outdated by today's youth. And I see Notts County won last night !B :)

Agree too, sounds like an expensive cardigan...plus there is no logic for using two different English names for the same genus.

The usage is eminently logical--it is classifying birds on the basis of appearance, which is useful to birders. Jaegers are frequently confused with other jaeger species--indeed they can be almost indistinguishable in certain plumages. Skuas are rarely, if ever, confused with jaegers, and are considerably bulkier. Plus "jaeger" is the german word for "hunter." Again, an apt choice.

The discussion of "skuas" in the Collins guide reflects the awkwardness of using the same word for both jaegers and skuas. It has a single section discussing “field identification of skuas” but repeatedly has to distinguish the two groups. Here are three examples:

– “Adults of the smaller species have long, projecting tail-feathers of characteristic shape.”

– “Apart from plumage distinctions, skuas are recognized by more pointed ‘hand’ (not so valid for the broad-winged Great Skua, of course)…”

– “The most difficult part of skua identification is to separate non-adults of Arctic, Pomarine and Long-tailed Skuas.”

Mind you...I hate it when I hear 'action' used as a verb. Particularly if it's 'going forward';).

*Barf*

"Going forward" is one of those toxic phrases that has thoroughly infected business life over here. People who use it often must think they sound all clever; to me, it just sounds like they are being precious.

The usage is eminently logical--it is classifying birds on the basis of appearance, which is useful to birders. Jaegers are frequently confused with other jaeger species--indeed they can be almost indistinguishable in certain plumages. Skuas are rarely, if ever, confused with jaegers, and are considerably bulkier. Plus "jaeger" is the german word for "hunter." Again, an apt choice.

The discussion of "skuas" in the Collins guide reflects the awkwardness of using the same word for both jaegers and skuas. It has a single section discussing “field identification of skuas” but repeatedly has to distinguish the two groups. Here are three examples:

– “Adults of the smaller species have long, projecting tail-feathers of characteristic shape.”

– “Apart from plumage distinctions, skuas are recognized by more pointed ‘hand’ (not so valid for the broad-winged Great Skua, of course)…”

– “The most difficult part of skua identification is to separate non-adults of Arctic, Pomarine and Long-tailed Skuas.”

Whereas great, brown, Chilean and South Polar are easily separated??

I appreciate the etymology and meaning of 'jaeger' and apologise if my intentionally light-hearted post drifted into the realms of anglocentric chauvinism that I'd previously criticised.

Andy said
As I said before, pronunciation and spelling is one thing, but words have established meanings and the wrong usage is being allowed to creep in unchallenged. No one has suggested that English-English is 'superior'. If I've come across as if I have, that has not been my intention but the English I grew up with is not being lost, it's being given away, without a fight, to some, it does matter.

And as I said before: it has happened in the past and it will happen again. English (all the different varieties of it) is a living language that changes over time.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back