• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted elachura and Przevalski's finch in China (1 Viewer)

Jose Ramon

Hi all,

I am planning a birdwatching tour to try to watch Spotted elachura (Elachura formosa) and Przewalski's finch (Urocynchramus pylzowi) in Asia.

I believe that both could be found in China, the first one in the region of Yunnan (southern central China) and the second one in the region of Quinghai in Central China.

- Could anybody tell me the best places to see them?

- Is there a better month of the year to watch both of them?

Any additional information will be welcome.

Regards,

Hi all,

I am planning a birdwatching tour to try to watch Spotted elachura (Elachura formosa) and Przewalski's finch (Urocynchramus pylzowi) in Asia.

I believe that both could be found in China, the first one in the region of Yunnan (southern central China) and the second one in the region of Quinghai in Central China.

- Could anybody tell me the best places to see them?

- Is there a better month of the year to watch both of them?

Any additional information will be welcome.

Regards,

Though eBird data in asia is spotty, you can get some info by checking eBird species maps such as this one for the Elachura (check the box for "show points sooner" and click on the individual markers for more info):

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/spwbab1?...mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2017

No personal experience, but my general impression is that best places for Elachura is Bhutan and surrounding India. While of course they are found in China, I'm not aware of any especially reliable spots (though there may well be).

The finch can also be found in Sichuan province btw.

Assume you are a bird family lister, as am I.

Last edited:
I had Spotted Elachura (actually seen!) at Emeifeng in Fujian province. I have no idea whether it's considered "reliable" there, tho.

Spotted Elachura is widespread in southern China.Anywhere is possible.It's much easier than eg. Pygmy Wren Babbler as it occurs not only high but also low.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back