• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow Texas March (1 Viewer)

DDolan1075

These are two pictures of 17,000 that I have been working on filing. It was taken in Houston at the end of march this spring. Sorry for the poor quality.

Attachments

• 090329_13353HighIsland_edited-1.jpg
    090329_13353HighIsland_edited-1.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 090329_13354HighIsland_edited-1.jpg
    090329_13354HighIsland_edited-1.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 87
Reminds me more of the Savannah Sparrows I see around here during the Winter months but could be wrong.

Gary

It's a White-throated Sparrow, as Matt suggests. The photo is a little dim, but you can see the black-and-white crown streaking, white throat, and wing bars.

Best,
Jim

I was wondering about the breast streaking

It's darker than most, but some streaking on the underparts is not uncommon in these, esp. in early spring (despite what your field guide may show!). And this could be accentuated by the bird being a bit damp, as Jim says.

Cheers,
Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back