• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pigeon cere - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
Firstly, I wasn't sure whether to post this in Birds and Birding or here, so apologies if I made the wrong choice.

OK I know it's a Pigeon, I have over 40 of them in my garden every day. But look at the cere, it's dark grey. I have never seen a Pigeon without a whitish cere (apart from juveniles of course).

It's actually possible this is a regular who's cere has changed, but I'm not sure. My best guesses so far are, age, illness, or dirt.

So does anyone have any thoughts on this? (remember that Pigeons are birds too.|=)|)

(attached pic is through a grubby part of the window and has reflections, but the cere can be seen clearly)

Attachments

• DSCF8897R.JPG
    DSCF8897R.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 149
Over 60 views, 18 have bothered to enlarge the thumbnail, no replies.

Pretend it's not a Pigeon, pretend it's something "cute", or "rare". Go on, I won't tell anyone you replied to a Pigeon thread.|=)|

two smilies ;);) and a pigeon o:) just to be on the safe side

OK. Speaking as one who viewed and didn't answer, it's because I know zilch about ceres, not because I don't like pigeons. I suspect others might be in the same camp.

Have a good day

Mike

two smilies ;);) and a pigeon o:) just to be on the safe side

OK. Speaking as one who viewed and didn't answer, it's because I know zilch about ceres, not because I don't like pigeons. I suspect others might be in the same camp.

Have a good day

Mike

Well all I know about their ceres is what I typed in the first post. I've been searching on line all morning but can find nothing about the cere changing colour.

The reason I posted here was because there are over 100 birds in my garden, including the Pigeons. I figured that if this was a sign of disease that I should find out ASAP. (hence my haste in bumping the thread)

And you are right, probably not many have an answer.

Last edited:
Hey Chris,

you'd rather have had 16 new replies stating only something like...."i don't know, sorry Chris"?

: )

good luck with getting the answer

cheers,
HouseCrow

Last edited:
I think I'll check back later. It's obviously not straightforward, which I should have guessed, as I've had no luck searching on line.

I've tried looking for the last half hour and couldn't really find much. So...

i don't know, sorry Chris

Perhaps it's just a dirty London Pigeon?

Having just looked at this thread for the first time, what I was going to say was;

...."i don't know, sorry Chris"...

But then got slightly curious and googled it, came up with this, which is probably even less useful to you; ;)

http://www.bird-stamps.org/query/ivoryc/green-pigeon.htm

(Sorry!!)

Will have to start looking at pigeon ceres more next time I see a pigeon (Grey ceres... or Grey seals? Exciting??!)

Individual variation or some stray genes from another pigeon sp.??

OK, thanks everyone for replying.

My main concern was disease, so I'm relieved that at least it's not an obvious symptom of something. I'll probably catch the Pigeon later (if it's a regular they fly to hand) and wipe the cere with tissue.

I guess it will be quite funny if it's just dirt.|=)|

Although it's not easy to tell from the picture, it's definitely an adult. There's quite a turnover of Pigeons in my garden over the years, so I'm quite good at telling the ages. My first thought (if it's the Pigeon I think it is, he's been in my garden every day for over 3 years) was old age, but then I thought of disease.

As I said, I'll probably catch him later and look more closely.

Thanks for that link, that's a very useful reference for me.|=)|

OK, thanks everyone for replying.

My main concern was disease, so I'm relieved that at least it's not an obvious symptom of something. I'll probably catch the Pigeon later (if it's a regular they fly to hand) and wipe the cere with tissue.

Fair concerns.... ironic if it is only industrial soot build up or similar though.... Trust you can sort it!

(Sorry for not taking this 'cereously' enough earlier on.... ( ;) ) )

Fair concerns.... ironic if it is only industrial soot build up or similar though.... Trust you can sort it!

(Sorry for not taking this 'cereously' enough earlier on.... ( ;) ) )

lol, yes, soot is a real possibility.

"cereously", yes it was cereous for a while, now it's all good.|=)|

Just an update:

I caught him, and it's not dirt. If I rubbed any harder I would have hurt him. And yes, it is a him; in fact it's the one I thought it was that's been visiting every day for more than 3 years. A few days ago his Cere was white (as it's always been), now it's dark grey.

He seems healthy, the other birds seem healthy, so I'll just keep an eye on him until I forget that his Cere was ever white.

I think this is just one of Nature's little mysteries. Still, it kept me thinking and researching for a day or two.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
I've seen this thread only now.

Maybe the answer I would give exists already, because I didn't understand all...

How you replied, it could be a mysterie of the Nature.
If the genetics belong to these mysteries I don't know.
But I think, it could be a mutation. But I could err.

Compliment to you, that you cares for the Pigeons!

As a someone who used to keep pigeons (for racing) I can tell you it happens occasionally when birds are sick. Grey ceres indicate upper respitory (and possibly other) diseases. The eye and back of the neck on this bird seem to confirm that all's far from well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back