• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SWIFT SP 8X40 - grateful for any info (1 Viewer)

Bencw

I bought this Swift as I had not seen this model before, not expensive, but if any of our resident Swift experts have any info on it, be grateful.

It has a serial number and Japan on the tripod adapter stud, and is marked J-B56. FOV is 393ft@1000yds, fully coated optics. It is very like the Audubon HR in style and optically, but narrower FOV of course, and a lot smaller and lighter. Very nice to view, bright and sharp, good colors.

Attachments

• SWIFT-SP-8X40-FC.JPG
    SWIFT-SP-8X40-FC.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 400
  • SWIFT-SP-8X40-FC.JPG2.JPG
    SWIFT-SP-8X40-FC.JPG2.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 227
  • SWIFT-SP-8X40-FC.JPG3.JPG
    SWIFT-SP-8X40-FC.JPG3.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 222
Hi,

Your SP binocular was marketed by Pyser, Ltd. in the early to mid-1980s. The exact year of manufacture will be the first two digits of the s/n (82?). My 1984 catalog shows this model to have a FOV of 390', and weight of 26.62 oz. In that year the SWPA range, and Audubon HR/5, were multi-coated, so your model was not quite as advanced. It was made by Hiyoshi Kogaku.

Enjoy your find.

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back