• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Look 6x18 & 8x24 Binos (1 Viewer)

karmantra

I obtained a pair of Nikon Look 6x18 and pair of Nikon Look 8x24 compact porro binos in mint condition, with soft cases, at a garage sale for cheap ($5 each), thinking that they might make great kid binos, but the view through the binos are quite impressive! The 6x18s are very compact, but the thicker than normal housing allows for adult hands to grip them comfortably. The 8x24s are also comfortable with an excellent view. Non-waterproof, not for eyeglass wearers, but great compact binos. I understand that they were made in the mid-late 60s by Nikon, and that they also came in a 7x21 model. Anyone else have some more info on these?

karmantra said:
I obtained a pair of Nikon Look 6x18 and pair of Nikon Look 8x24 compact porro binos in mint condition, with soft cases, at a garage sale for cheap ($5 each), thinking that they might make great kid binos, but the view through the binos are quite impressive! The 6x18s are very compact, but the thicker than normal housing allows for adult hands to grip them comfortably. The 8x24s are also comfortable with an excellent view. Non-waterproof, not for eyeglass wearers, but great compact binos. I understand that they were made in the mid-late 60s by Nikon, and that they also came in a 7x21 model. Anyone else have some more info on these?

I owned the 8 x 24 for a time and remember it as a very sharp and crisp bino. The binocular is, in fact, waterproof, which is the reason for the glass plate covering the objective lenses, although that glass plate adds additional reflecting surfaces and consequent loss of transmitted light. Nikon used the glass plate approach to waterproof the top of the line 8 x 40 DCF Classic Eagle of the same era (circa 1970). The real problem with the Look series (and the reason I sold mine) was the total absence of eye relief coupled with hard metal eyecups (and calling them eyecups is truly charitable). Still, at $5.00, you did not go wrong.

chartwell99 said:
I owned the 8 x 24 for a time and remember it as a very sharp and crisp bino. The binocular is, in fact, waterproof, which is the reason for the glass plate covering the objective lenses, although that glass plate adds additional reflecting surfaces and consequent loss of transmitted light. Nikon used the glass plate approach to waterproof the top of the line 8 x 40 DCF Classic Eagle of the same era (circa 1970). The real problem with the Look series (and the reason I sold mine) was the total absence of eye relief coupled with hard metal eyecups (and calling them eyecups is truly charitable). Still, at $5.00, you did not go wrong.
You're right about the eye relief--the only 'relief' Nikon offered on these was a clear nylon ring that fits over the eyecup to give you at most 5mm eye relief. Didn't know they were waterproof, although I'm not going to give them a test to find out! As with most porros, these will be fair weather glasses.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back