• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LPBO reaches one million! (1 Viewer)

Since spring of 1960; they're the longest continually-operating banding station in Canada, and one of the longest in the Americas.

Interestingly (but I suppose not surprisingly), the pace of banding has really been picking up - the first 500,000 were banded between 1960-1994 (35 years, inclusive) while the second 500,000 were banded between 1994-2017 (effectively 26 1/2 years, since this only includes the spring '17 season).

The reason I remember the 500,000 mark so well is that the Observatory had a contest back then to guess the species of the 500,000th bird - I won! Prize was one week at the Tip Station, and a bottle of local sparkling something. The trip was terrific (Long Point Tip being one of the best locations in Canada), but the bubbly not so much - the Tip Cabin had no refrigeration back then, so we had to drink it warm.

Sadly - no contest this time :-(

Peter C.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back