Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 15:50   #1
Mike Earp

iohannis

The HBW Alive Key is admirably up-to-date, given James's replacement name was published only today, but I think there is a typo in the species name, which should read subcoerulea:
Prof. Dr. William John Ansorge (1850-1913) British physician in Mauritius, Uganda and Nigeria, zoologist, collector, explorer in tropical Africa (subsp. Sylvia coerulea).

Last edited by Mike Earp : Sunday 18th June 2017 at 15:57. Reason: Typo!
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 15:59   #2
James Jobling

I was so careful about getting the coerulea right, that I forgot the sub!!! Thanks, Mike.
Old Monday 19th June 2017, 20:00   #3
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Shifting bird ...

James, I think you can delete the "probably" part on the other, second iohannis bird in the Key ...

Hemitriccus iohannis SNETHLAGE 1907 (here) as "Euscarthmus iohannis" a k a ; Iohannis's -, Johannis's -, Joao's -, Johanne's - alt. Johannes's Tody/Pygmy-Tyrant ... wow! ... alt. Amazon Tody-Tyrant (in Swedish: amazontodityrann)
Quote:
Genannt nach einem der Sammler der Purús-Expedition des Museu Goeldi.
Nothing more in the OD itself, but see here, in the words by Snethlage herself, in Boletim do Museu Goeldi (Museu Paraense) de Historia Natural e Ethnographia, vol. 5 (1907-1908):
Quote:
Euscarthmus iohannis Snethl.
[...]
O nome foi dado em honra do Sr. João de Sá, que colleccionou o passaro no Rio Purús e que já 14 annos presta os seus serviços como preparador ao Museu Goeldi.
If his name also included Baptista as in "João Baptista de Sá" (as claimed by Beolens & Watkins 2003) is unknown to me. Either way not to confuse with any other men known only as "João Baptista". There seems to be quite a few of them ...

I´m almost glad his not one of "my" guys!

Björn
Old Tuesday 20th June 2017, 08:11   #4
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Continuation on Hemitriccus iohannis SNETHLAGE 1907

James, I couldn´t keep my fingers away ...

It does look like his full name truly was João Baptista de Sá.

See the List of Staff (for Museu Goeldi) in the same volume where Snethlage's second text appeared (here).

Also see Sanjad et al (2013), foot-note No. 26 (here, p. 204):
Quote:
... João Baptista de Sá (?-1909), o mais antigo funcionário do Museu Goeldi na época. Ingressou como servente antes de 1894 e, a partir de 1895, assumiu o cargo de Ajudante de Preparador da Seção de Zoologia.
No birth year found.

Björn
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: