• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2004 Ruby-Throated migration map (1 Viewer)

Hummers . . . and Martins! I read on another site today where Purple Martins have shown up in Texas!

And if hummers and Martins are on-continent, can spring be far behind?

How's your little girl, Bob? I've talked about her a lot lately . . . .

Just went thru your magnificant photos - what a gem and so are you for keeping her alive! Where in Lex,KY are you located? Our daughter's lived there for a few years - it's about 3 hrs from us - LOVE that city - wish they were still there!!

amasara said:
Just went thru your magnificant photos - what a gem and so are you for keeping her alive! Where in Lex,KY are you located? Our daughter's lived there for a few years - it's about 3 hrs from us - LOVE that city - wish they were still there!!

Hi Amasara,

It has been a wonderful experience helping our little guest. We live near the Henry Clay estate, off Main Street/Richmond road. If you are in the area please stop by for a visit to see her.Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 26feb04c2.jpg
    26feb04c2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 206
I'm glad that she did so well though the winter, Bob. Well done! She sure looks healthy. We got our first ruby-throated hummingbird (a male) here on the 27th. I actually got a dot on the migration map, in Southeastern NC. He's stayed around for a couple of days now, but not sure if he's headed north. Once they establish their territory, I have about 20 of them that stay. Good luck with your little girl.

That migration map is a great idea - inspired me to clean up the feeders and get them out yesterday - maybe I can get a dot on the map! Just had grass mowed for the first time - Spring and hummers are arriving soon - cold snap due the rest of the week.

Is it time to put out the feeder yet?

The map shows the rubys to be getting close to Kentucky! I am just across the Ohio River from Louisville and even thought the temperatures are only in the 50's, I've got the urge to put out the hummingbird feeders. Is it even possible yet or should I wait a week?

Even the possibility of Spring causes strange, unreasonable, impatient urges! <g>

You can't be too early - you will probably lure in birds that are heading further north and your food will aid them to get there.

amasara said:
You can't be too early - you will probably lure in birds that are heading further north and your food will aid them to get there.

Hello Don,

Check the map again;it looks as if one is in S. Indiana already!! Get your feeder(s) out.... Cheers,bob

Greetings, Don C, and welcome from all the staff here at Birdforum! It's a personal delight to see someone from southern Indiana on the forum (I have family in Washington County, not far from you).

Yes! Do get those hummer feeders out -- I'm looking for the little guys up my way in the next week or so.

Being in Sellersburg, you're not all that far from Muscatatuck and Big Oaks. Ever go birding at either of those places? And did you get the opportunity to see the Green-tailed Towhee that spent a good part of the winter at a feeder in New Albany? Gorgeous bird!!

Hope you'll take a little time to browse around the forums and get acquainted. There's tons of information here, contributed by members from all over the planet, with lots of great 'conversation' and knowledge happily shared.

Hope you enjoy your time on the forums, and we'll 'see' you around!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back