• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Delta Carbon Fibre Travel Tripod from In-Focus (UK shop) (1 Viewer)

Nick Leech

United Kingdom
I am looking for a lightweight tripod set up for my little Nikon ED50 scope for birding walks.

I have tried a Slik Sprint Pro II GM tripod with 3-way Head, but find it a little flimsy and unstable and the panning action of the head not very smooth.

Alternative legs I am now considering are:

1) Velbon Ultra Luxi-L; and

2) Delta Carbon Fibre Travel Tripod (only available from the UK shop "In-Focus", I believe). See second model down on this web-page:
http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/tripods.html

I have found some glowing reports on the Velbon Luxi-L on BF, but no comments about the Delta CF Travel tripod.

Does anyone have any experience of the Delta CF Travel tripod?

I was told the Delta tripods supplied by In-Focus are actually re-badged Velbon Sherpa Tripods, but I can't find an exact Velbon match for that particular Delta model. Does anyone know?

The Luxi-L has 5-section aluminium legs and weighs about 890g (legs only). Price is about £80 (inc. PHD-41Q head).

The Delta tripod has 3-section carbon fibre legs and weighs 1020g (legs only). Price is £160 for legs only. I would probably get either a Velbon FHD-52Q head or a Manfrotto 700RC2 head to go with these legs.

I like the lower price of the Luxi-L tripod, the lower weight and the shorter folded up length.

However, I wonder whether the Delta tripod legs would be more stable than the Luxi-L due to the 3-section leg design (vs 5-section), the slightly greater weight and the rigidity of the carbon fibre legs?

Does anyone have experience or advice to offer on this?

Many thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
Hi Nick, I bought a delta carbon fibre tripod from infocus but I think it was the mk 2 model. After some investigative work I found out it was a velbon geo e530. It even had velbon printed on the soft leg cushions. I use this as my main tripod with a manfrotto 701 HDv head and a swaro 80 hd scope. I never had a problem with the tripod but there was nothing on it to put it down as a delta tripod except for the price tag attached to it. But that was a couple of years ago now so maybe that has changed.

I have ordered the Slik sprint pro II gm as a travel tripod for my ed50 and it is going to be paired with a manfrotto 494 Rc ballhead. The ballhead is nice and light with friction control to stop the scope flopping.

Regards Gerard.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back