• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope EDIII 60 + camera = what head? (1 Viewer)

andyotter

I've been getting used to my second-hand EDIII 60 for 2 months now, mounted on a Velbon 250N with PH-157Q head, mostly scoping but taking the odd digiscoped snap (a P5100 attached with FSB-6 bracket to a DS eyepiece).

I am thinking of upgrading to a more stable head but know that, despite the scope+ep+bracket+camera weighing at less that 2kg, the back-heavy nature of the set-up means I'll need some kind of sliding plate/ counterbalancing. Whilst recognising the limitations of my cheap & cheerful tripod, I'll live with that for now!

I was initially thinking of the Manfrotto 701HDV with its sliding plate, though it's near the top end of my price bracket. When looking on BF yesterday, however, I read this
The head would be OK for the small Nikon EDIII, but for that scope the 701HDV head looks a bit like overkill.
which made me think again and start looking at the 700RC2 which Swissboy ultimately bought, but this head doesn't have a sliding plate.

I reckon the balance-point/c.o.gravity for the FSIII is about 4.5cm back ( 5.7cm with the camera) so I'm wondering whether a head like Giottos VH6011 (same price range as 700RC2, not a fluid head, but with Arca-Swiss type sliding plate) might be better.

I've never used a fluid head and don't really understand how they work. Nor have I used a head that you don't have to lock to stay stable. Bearing in mind this level of ignorance, I'd appreciate any comments that will help me make up my mind about what the best next head for me is.
PS. I don't have any other scope so don't attach/detach the FSIII from the tripod much.

Hi Andy. I use my ED III with the 701HDV head and I think it suits it really well. I find that, with the scope mounted as far forward as possible and then with the QR plate pushed all the way forward and the sunshield extended, the scope is perfectly balanced. Obviously with a camera and adapter attached it would be a little back heavy but might be OK. I think Manfrotto have just replaced this head with a new model but I am not sure if it still has the long, sliding QR plate.

Ron

thanks, Ron
I've no doubt the 701hdv will do the trick, but what I took from Swissboy's thread, was that it was more than he needed for just an ED60 (he was looking primarily for a head for a big Leica), so I started looking for something a bit lighter (and cheaper!) than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back