• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod centre columns .. (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

I was just wondering if it's possible to buy tripod centre columns on their own ? I was wanting to leave my tripod head attached to my tripod and then have a separate setup with another tripod head/centre column to attach my hide clamp to. This way I can just attach my scope to either setup without having to remove the centre column from the tripod whenever I need to ..

I have a Velbon tripod but obviously the centre column doesnt necessarily need to be a Velbon, any centre column will suffice.

Thanks very much ..

Would that it was so simple Dave. Different makers use different sizes for the centre column, so not every column will fit your hide clamp.
The Velbon hide clamp is easy to use as you just slip the centre column from the tripod and slot into the clamp. I carry the hide clamp in the pocket of my sco pac so it's never far away.

Would that it was so simple Dave. Different makers use different sizes for the centre column, so not every column will fit your hide clamp.
The Velbon hide clamp is easy to use as you just slip the centre column from the tripod and slot into the clamp. I carry the hide clamp in the pocket of my sco pac so it's never far away.

Hey up Keith,

Hope you are well mate.. I have the original inserts supplied with my hide clamp and so I do have options with regard to different sized columns (hopefully) :)

Skua cruise for me this coming Saturday .. Been practising my 'shiver me timbers' ...

I have a Gitzo 410R tripod with multiple center posts. I mainly use a short post as it allows me to get close to the ground. I feel like using a center post defeats the purpose of having a large 3 legged tripod, to go from 3 legs to 1 leg.

PS.
An alternative is to maybe use Arca Swiss quick release plates as they allow quick change of equipment. I have been using Arca Swiss for years with camera equipment.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back