• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid-price binoculars with good build quality? (1 Viewer)

If you are concerned about build quality I would steer towards something like a Nikon Monarch 7 or Vortex. So many new producers have high sample quality variation and no track record for support. There are many options for high quality optical performance at all price points these days, and I think build quality and along with it warranty and producer longevity get too little weight in many considerations.

I agree with these thoughts, I have a Nikon M7 10x42 and 8x30, both
very good optically, and nice fit and finish.

From the original list I would stay with a proven brand, Nikon and Vortex
both have lots of high marks.

Jerry

So many new producers have high sample quality variation and no track record for support. There are many options for high quality optical performance at all price points these days, and I think build quality and along with it warranty and producer longevity get too little weight in many considerations.

So true! I want that one to last, for a quite a while.
I agree with these thoughts, I have a Nikon M7 10x42 and 8x30, both
very good optically, and nice fit and finish.

From the original list I would stay with a proven brand, Nikon and Vortex
both have lots of high marks.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry! I've narrowed it down to four brands at the moment: GPO, Minox, Nikon and Vortex.

I currently have a shot at a Monarch 7 for a good price (420€). But there is also a Vortex Viper in the mix, for 499€. The Viper however has a FOV that is a bit narrower than that of the Talon - and the rest of the bunch...still worth taking a look at it?

Hi,

have you thought about buying used? That's what I paid for my SE 10x42 and the view will beat anything in the $500 range (actually anything under 2k alphas).

Ok, getting an SE will take some time and luck and you might have to stretch the budget a bit...

But around $500 nice bins can be had used - there's currently a pair of Nikon HG 10x42 (the old HG when it was an alpha, not the Monarch HG) in the classifieds which will run circles around all the models you mentioned...

Joachim

Hey Joachim,

I'm definitely looking for a new product. What does "SE" stand for again?;)

RP,

I don't know the Kruger or Leupold but from your original list I would suggest the Bushnell is probably the best of the rest for size of sweetspot and colour neutrality, but maybe the warmer colour of the Vanguard would cut through the haze and give you a clearer view at long range. As for build quality, the Vanguard seems to be put together quite well. I've on tried the Bushnell briefly on three occasions and it seemed OK, but there has been at least one report on the forum about dioptre mechanism problems. I should point out that I found the eye positioning on the Vanguard 10x42 more critical with glasses than the 8x42.

I have no particular reason to doubt the engineering quallity of the more expensive Chinese made models, but the Japanese manufacturers have a longer track record of quality control and reliability and can have longer warranties, and tend to be a little higher priced. The Vortex Viper HD has been made in Japan for many years but it's been said that assembly may have switched to China. If the parts are still Japanese I would guess it's unlikely to be a problem. Opticron, based in the UK and Kite based in Belgium carry Japanese made models in your price range. These tend not have the flat field technology of the Vanguard and Bushnell but I don't find that an issue. The Opticron Countryman HD, I rather like. A comparatively simple design with good ergonomics. The Kite Petrel has been around for a while and is a little pricier. The field of view is not impressive but I think the x50s in particular offer a nice window on the world and are still fairly light. The new Opticron Imagic BGA VHD has the ED glass and more up to date coatings and the x42s are supposed to be same design as the Tract Toric. They obviously also share some common elements of design with the older Kite Petrel and I'm looking forward to trying the x50s when I get a chance.

As a hiking model I'd personally choose something rather more compact. The Chinese made Nikon Monarch 7 and, in my opinion, the slightly better Japanese made Kite Lynx HD 8x30 are both popular on the forum. The new Opticron Traveller ED 8x32 is obviously from the same family and has more friendly eye relief for those who wear glasses. I've not had a chance to see how they compare to the Nikon and Kite though.

Good luck,

David

Last edited:
For 50 to 100 km.
At least a Canon 10x30 Mk II IS.

More useful would be a spotting scope.
If the light is good a Skywatcher 90mm Maksutov. I paid £129 delivered new, but available as new seconhand for £50 or so, or a similar clone. Or a refractor scope which can be more durable. Wrapped in layers of bubble wrap for protection. I don't know if the bubbles burst at high altitudes.

It is possible to view over such distances especially above 2000 metres altitude in good conditions.
A polarising filter sometimes helps.

For 50 to 100 km.
At least a Canon 10x30 Mk II IS.

More useful would be a spotting scope.
If the light is good a Skywatcher 90mm Maksutov. I paid £129 delivered new, but available as new seconhand for £50 or so, or a similar clone. Or a refractor scope which can be more durable. Wrapped in layers of bubble wrap for protection. I don't know if the bubbles burst at high altitudes.

It is possible to view over such distances especially above 2000 metres altitude in good conditions.
A polarising filter sometimes helps.

I've taken my current 10x42 roof prism on many summits (2500-3500m a.s.l.) and the steadiness was not that much of an issue, when gazing farther into the distance. I think the weight of my bino (680 g) provides a fairly good and "shake-free" hold, for me at least, though it's not perfect. Therefore I conclude that a 10x42-bino with less than, let's say, 600 g would be tougher to handle. Another argument for a high quality component bino, with a little bit of meat on it's ribs. I've read that some birdwatchers can hold a 12x50 without a problem, which I definitely can't.

For me, the 10x42-combo is the best of both worlds when it comes to observing nature. Just the right amount of zoom and low level light transmission, whilst still being holdable steadily.

Last edited:
Hey Joachim,

I'm definitely looking for a new product. What does "SE" stand for again?;)

Hi,

i think the SE in the Nikon SE series is supposed to mean Superior E - the E referring to the almost legendary E series porros...

If you want new, an E2 10x35 is also a nice option...

Joachim

Hello everybody,

I am currently looking for a new set of binos, trying to move from my low-budget ones into the very attractive mid-price range.

The two most important (remaining) factors for me are build quality and sweet spot size. I've narrowed my search down to six, having filtered them for multiple attributes. I'm curious which ones you think excel the most in the bold mentioned attributes. They are:

Bushnell Legend M-Series 10x42
Celestron Granite ED 10x42
Kruger Caldera 10x42
Leupold BX-2 Tioga HD 10x42
Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42
Vortex Talon HD 10x42

I know that I can't expect alpha-quality in any of these, buildwise...yet, it still would be nice to know which ones "feel" better than the others. Regarding the materials used and how well they are assembled and put together and how long their parts stay where they are supposed to;)

I am not that susceptible to CA, so this is not as important to me as nice sharpness and a big sweet spot - even if the latter one decreases a bit faster in quality, towards the outermost edges.

Best regards and thanks in advance,
RedPanda

I have had both the Bushnell Legend M 10x42 and the Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42. I have also had Zen-Ray ED and EDIII 10x42. I have gotten rid of all of them due to various reasons. My current 10x (which I will never part from like the others) is Tract Toric 10x42. I love it that much.

The Toric 10x is more expensive than the ones you have listed, but is a steel for the price in my opinion. Build quality and optical performance are far superior to the other 10x binos I have had. Some others have compared it to the quality of the alphas but for much less cost. I would at least consider it if you haven't already made up your mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back