• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (3 Viewers)

Pushing my luck now, any idea on the small ducks amongst the Curlew at Rigifa Pool, first visit here, (Sunday) also got 3 Barnacles that were reported by markhammonds on 3rd, still among about 50 Pink-foot.

jim.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 65
Thanks again Hugh, also visited Skene Sat/Sun, 3 Whoopers on Sat, including the broken wing and a couple of Red Kites on Sun, 1 on Garlogie rd, then went east, and another about 20 mins later over the south shore boathouse, which also went east, possibly same bird, dont know. Lots of geese coming and going from all directions, only few, 40-50, landed on the loch though.

Jim.

I'm not very good at counting but reckon there were about 30 Wigeon on Rigifa Pool this morning. Couldn't see the Geese or Teal but Mallards were still hanging around (along with the usual Oystercatcher, Gulls and plenty of Curlew).

I had a Hobby sheltering from the storm in my back garden at battery park, Peterhead today at 5.30 pm. it was perched on the back of a garden chair, a few feet from the window. probably my best garen tick to date.

Rattray

Lots of birds around this morning. Loads of Redwing, Thrush, Blackbirds and robin. a single Blackcap and a few Brambling among the flocks of Chaffinch. Nothing too exciting, maybe better luck tomorrow.

Attachments

• brambling.jpg
    brambling.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 65
I watched three swallows trying to feed over a field near Ellon this morning, with the temperature at 2°C, while Pinkfeet and Golden Plovers flew over.

Peregrine Falcon In an old city centre haunt this morning.This was the first one I have seen for a few months.A party of Long tailed Tits and a single Goldcrest in trees opposite the Police HQs in Queen Street,were nice city centre birds today.

The next meeting of the SOC Grampian branch takes place this coming Monday. The speaker is Simon Foster, who will talk on “Waders of the Moray Firth”. The meeting will be held at The Sportsman’s Club, 11 Queen’s Road, Aberdeen, and starts at 7.30pm. All welcome, with a suggested donation for attendance of £2.

Hugh (Branch Secretary)

It seems as if Waxwings have arrived in Aberdeen now, with a few flocks dotted throughout the city. I had 35+ on the trees at the back of school late on this afternoon (Aberdeen Grammar School), my first of the autumn, enjoying the late afternoon sun but quickly moving on. Sure it won't be the last time I see them there though in the next couple of weeks, as they seem to like the area.

A small movement of passerines on Saturday included a reasonable number of continental Robins at Girdle Ness and Balmedie. At the latter site a very frosty Treecreeper with an extensive bold white supercilium was very likely of the northern familaris race, in the conifers at the north end of the car park with a couple of continental Robins, a single Goldcrest and a 'Northern' Blackbird. A Brambling was also flushed here.

Joseph

Last edited:
Text this morning, the sender shall remain anonymous for good reason:

'think pet shops been burgled'

'call the police then'

'how will they catch all the cockateils?'

'wtf?'

'there's loads of them by the halls. Brown and black big crests'.

I sent a waxwing photo and the reply was epic 'aww.sweet didn't know ya had one'..

Bless her cotton socks lol. So that's how I found out this morning you had Waxwings in Aberdeen.

I spent quite a bit of the day in the birding hotspot that is Kincorth. Waxwings were the main feature. The first flock I saw were of around 65 near Banks o' Dee sports club. Most however were in the vicinity of Provost Watt Drive. They seemed to gather around the junction with Abbotswell Crescent but would range about quite a bit, either finding berries or avoiding Sparrowhawks. Quite a few gathered outside the Spar a little further up the road at one stage - a classic 'supermarket car park' location. As usual it was pandemonium when flocks came down to feed on rowan berries. On some of the smaller branches, several birds might be intertwined with one another as they tried to get at the last remaining fruits.

Eventually I got a good count of what was probably most of the birds in the area as they perched up in two trees. I reckoned at least 400 in the field and when I got home I counted 424 from photos. This is certainly a minimum number and I'm sure there are more in the area. Not too much else around aside from a scattering of thrushes.

Here are a few Waxy shots:

Attachments

• Waxwings Kincorth_101112a.jpg
    Waxwings Kincorth_101112a.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 54
  • Waxwings Kincorth_101112b.jpg
    Waxwings Kincorth_101112b.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Waxwings Kincorth_101112c.jpg
    Waxwings Kincorth_101112c.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Waxwings Kincorth_101112e.jpg
    Waxwings Kincorth_101112e.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Waxwings Kincorth_101112g.jpg
    Waxwings Kincorth_101112g.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for that report and accurate count Andrew, saw it on ABZ birds last night. Sods Law - all the GRG ringers (bar me, who works on Saturday's) was at the Ringers Conference this weekend so no effort ! I did have 170 at Allenvale on Thursday but again was on my own.

We might get a few caught this week so keep an eye out for colour rings. About 140 were ringed on Orkney (single yellow) so look for these too.

Cheers,

LC

I was wondering if any ringing was going on - hope the conference was good! I was looking for rings but didn't see any. Just 153 Waxwings in the same area this afternoon. I wonder where the rest of them are now.

I was wondering if any ringing was going on - hope the conference was good! I was looking for rings but didn't see any. Just 153 Waxwings in the same area this afternoon. I wonder where the rest of them are now.

Saw the Waxwings, at lunchtime, in the area of Kincorth you mentioned. Thanks to you and others for pointing me in the right direction.

There was a male Hen Harrier in fields south of Cruden Bay this afternoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back