• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wooly Hackberry Aphid question (1 Viewer)

JDV

I have searched high and low on the Net for info on this bug. All I find are pics and basic info. My question is: Why are they swarming everywhere? Everywhere I look or go I see them. Ive never seen them before until this fall. What is causing this outbreak? Thanx I live in Tennessee.

Outbreaks of any insect are due to many factors. One of them is the weather. If temperature and humidity are in the optimal range, all insects tend to reproduce more quickly, even more quickly than their parasites (braconids, pteromalids etc).
Another factor is the human being. With pesticides, the human kills not only the pests, but also the parasites. Besides, cutting certain species of weeds where parasites normally rest diminish their populations.

One thing causing Aphididae outbreaks is their habit to reproduce rapidly by parthenogenesis. They also often escape attention, as they are so small. Woolly aphids are noticed because of their outlook.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back