• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 vs Swarovski Habicht 7x42 initial comparison (1 Viewer)

Chapter 3. Field testing.

Well actually, back garden testing. But at least I made the effort and walked out the door, rather than looking through the window.

Bright sunny day here in Yorkshire.

Sharpness still a dead heat, I would say.

Tried to find CA (tree branches against the sky, good test, yes?) couldn't see any with either bins.

I still think the Habicht's colours are a little more natural. But that just be in my mind, such as it is (my mind, that is). By the same token the Vikings seem a bit more vibrant. Kind of.

The sun was lowish. 2.30 in the afternoon GMT. So took the opportunity to test for loss of contrast. Stood at 90 degrees to the sun. Neither bins exhibited any loss of contrast. What they do though is let light in at the side of the eye. And it's annoying and distracting. So the 'grab the bins around the eyepiece' technique which you are practically forced to adopt with the Habichts becomes essential, and is also useful with the Victorys. But more awkward with the Victorys because of the placement of the strap lugs.

Then tried looking at my neighbours house wall with the sun just out of sight above. In other words I was almost pointing at the sun, but not quite. Both bins I think had a slight loss of contrast, but not severe. Still perfectly acceptable in that regard. But the Habichts did get a bit flary. If that's a word. Thing about the Habichts is they are a bit more involving in the way you hold them. I think there is more 'technique' involved in using them. As I experimented a could make the flaring go away. And you'd have to be a bit foolish to be looking straight at something with the sun only a degree or two out of vision.

The Habichts might take more work to get used to them. That's not really a problem. We all learn to use tools. I'm a professional musician, the idea of practicing to acquire a physical skill isn't a foreign to me. In the end they might actually be the more satisfying and elegant binoculars. Time will tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back