• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rye Meads (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
What is it?
A bird reserve owned jointly by the RSPB and Herts & Middlesex wildlife trust.

Where is it?
Near Hoddesdon in Hertfordshire. Either leave the A414 signposted Roydon, if coming from the East (it is down a toll road cost 50p) or if coming from the A10 follow the signposts which lead you through Hoddesdon.

Facilities?
There is a visitor centre with a whats about board a coffee machine and WCs(thank you thank you!!). It also sells bird food. Entrance is now free. The RSPB portion of the reserve is open daily 10am – 5pm (except Christmas & Boxing Day) the HMWT portion is open anytime I believe.

There are 10 hides, 7 belonging to the RSPB and 3 HMWT (one of these is in the RSPB portion of the reserve). There is a nature trail that will lead you around the hides. Access to the HMWT portion of the reserve from RSPB reserve is by a one way turnstile. It is a 40 minute walk back to the car park from the turnstile.

The Birdwatching?
There are a variety of different habitat, including, lakes, rivers, marsh and a flood meadow.

The quality of birds can be best be described as patchy, some weeks it can seem devoid of life others lots happening, its hard to predict.

The most consistent hide has been the Draper Hide. The water meadow can be excellent if there’s been heavy rain.

Birds?
Common finches, tits, Corvids, Robin, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Redwing, Goldcrest, Reed Bunting, Pied & Grey Wagtail, Stonechat, Meadow Pipit, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, both whitethroats (only seen Common myself) Reed and Sedge Warbler, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, Common Ducks, Ruddy Duck, Goldeneye, Great Crested & Little Grebe, Grey Heron, Green Sandpiper (generally 3 or 4 about), Common Sandpiper, Snipe, Lapwing, Little Ringed Plover, Redshank, Water Rail, Bittern (allegedly – never seen one myself), Common Tern, Kingfisher, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel.

Some of the above are, obviously, seasonal.

I have heard good stuff about Rye Meads.From your good description it sounds like a place to get lost in for the whole day!

Remember visiting Rye Meads last year for the Solitary Sandpiper excellent stuff!! Remember seeing green Sandpiper and Water Rail amongst other stuff - i`d best check my notes.
10 Hides!! Didn`t realise it was so extensive.

Jasonbirder said:
Remember visiting Rye Meads last year for the Solitary Sandpiper excellent stuff!! Remember seeing green Sandpiper and Water Rail amongst other stuff - i`d best check my notes.
10 Hides!! Didn`t realise it was so extensive.

2 of the hides opened this year.

Jason DO NOT mention the Solitary Sandpiper. It turned up in the one week I was away on holiday last year. Given I spent at least 2 days a week down there that year I was well miffed!!

Andrew - as I say it can be hit or miss, somedays nothing about others fascinating.

pduxon said:
. . . as I say it can be hit or miss, somedays nothing about others fascinating.
Same can be said for the best reserves the world over, although if I was in a Thailand or American reserve it wouldn't be for me!!!

Mick East said:
Hi

I do 1/2 day volunteer once a month.

What info are you after.

Mick

Hi Mick,

I did have the opportunity to pop in there a while back and was just wondering what had been seen recently.

As it goes, I just went anyway....

Thanks anyway...

Hi Mick,

we may have met as I'm at Rye Meads once every 3 weeks or so. If you see a chap in a BF hat say hi.

poor male. I was there a few seasons ago when the female died and the male went in to mourning. It was hard to even catch a sight of him. I hope that isn't the case this year.

szekiat said:
poor male. I was there a few seasons ago when the female died and the male went in to mourning. It was hard to even catch a sight of him. I hope that isn't the case this year.

well i've yet to see him there, so sad as last year they were great value

An update on Rye Meads! There's been lots of work done over the winter which has opened up the pools and lagoons and on most of the occasions I've been there I've had good views of Kingfishers! The odd visit from Peregrine and Marsh Harrier is possible as I was lucky enough to witness last year. Also frequent sightings of Cettis warbler. If you combine your visit with a trip to Amwell nature reserve which is just up the road in St Margarets, you are pretty sure of a good days birding. Amwell has more species in concentration and lots of new hides. The list for Amwell includes Bittern, Hobby, Lapwing, Redshank, Snipe, Common Tern, Little Egret, Yellow Wagtail ( saw one this week), Hirundines, Peregrine, Cettis Warbler, Water rail, Little ringed plover, Stonechat, Smew, Goldeneye, Goosander, Spotted flycatcher, Winchat, Kingfisher, as well as all the other common species. It's one of the best places for dragonflies (9 species) and also butterflies. Happy birding!

Had a marvellous day there on Tuesday, my first visit, and hopefully not my last. The weather couldn’t have been better, and the staff helpful and friendly. Don’t let the fact that it’s opposite a Sewage Works and in the middle of an Industrial Estate put you off going. It’s a little jewel of a place. And famous for its Kingfishers.
Ten hides dotted around the reserve, offering great views across the various lakes. A couple of miles along all the various ‘trails’, but ample seating dotted along the way, to just sit, rest, or take it all in.
First hide I came to offered Tufted Duck, Mute Swan and Little Grebe; amongst others. And a ‘fly by’ by a Sparrowhawk.
Moving on towards the ‘Kingfisher’ hide, I stopped off at a couple of others, to watch some Gadwall, Common Tern, Lesser Black-backed Gull, and Redshank.
Then the Kingfisher hide, access along a winding walkway through the reeds. Hobbys circling overhead, (I counted 5), and Sedge Warblers warbling. The hide is big and spacious, looking out across a lake, and a man made sand bank for the Kingfisher. Opposite the hide stands a tall pylon, with two nest boxes on. Best use for one of those monstrosities I’ve ever seen. Especially when a Kestrel lands on one. No sign of the elusive Kingfisher, but a pair of Shoveller, and Coot swimming about.
Further on are more hides, that take you round the reserve back to the starting point; but the time was racing on by now, so I made my way back towards the centre, briefly stopping off at the hides I had visited earlier. And there I briefly spotted it. Whilst watching the antics of the Terns, a flash of blue, winging its way to the reeds. The Kingfisher. Too quick for a picture, but at least I saw it.

A great day out, and thoroughly recommend it.

Had a good four hours there last week and saw the male Kingfisher over at the sand bank. I'd recommend it and would be a great combo with Amwell - pub lunch maybe in between ;-)

As someone said earlier they have done a lot of work on the HMWT side of the reserve.

I'd agree you can combine Amwell and Rye Meads and I often do. I'd also agree Amwell is a better birding reserve but Rye is more of an all round nature reserve. I'm going to have to find the orchids on the HMWT side this summer

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back