• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8.5x45 choices (1 Viewer)

SteveTS

I recently reviewed my bino rack ; being out and about at dawn and dusk I've chopped in an NM5 8x42 for an NMX 8.5x45.

Although I really liked the NM5, the 8.5x45 gives me all that the 8x42 gave and a bit more and I have other glass for daytime use.

Yes, it's true that some of the 'more' is very slight CA which was completely absent with the NM5 but it's just not noticeable in low light and the big clear view and extra viewing time are a considerable bonus. There are no other appreciable optical differences between the two to my eyes and for my purposes.

Liking the spec I'm now looking for a spare.

The Vanguard Endeavor ED 8.5x45 is an option. Best value UK at present appears to be £247.00 + 20% VAT / sales tax well above what I would perceive to be good value.

I realise that there are others ; I know that Pyser and Bushnell both did an 8.5x45 but I haven't seen either of these and would welcome comment and opinion on those and 8.5x45s from other manufacturers. Thanks.

Samandag,

I am not sure what price range you are shooting for. I know two of the models you listed and the prices that they typically sold for. The only model I have had extensive experience with in that format (besides one of the Swaro 8.5x's) was the Bresser Montana 8.5x45. I posted a review thread of it here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=254547&highlight=Bresser+Montana

Very impressive optic for the price and one of only a few binoculars I have owned over the last couple of years that I really miss. Too bad I couldn't afford it.

I can't think of another 8.5x45 I've tried that gets close to the Vanguard for price.

The Bynolyt Albatross ED 8.5x45 was very good, but weighed a ton.
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/431/limit/recent

The Hawke Panorama had a lot going for it, but the colour rendition was rather off and at the moment isn't listed.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=265831

The Kite Petrel 8.5x50 actually feels more compact than some of the others. The view is very narrow by comparison but I thought what there is was excellent.

Of course there are the very good but expensive Kowa Genesis 8.5x44 and Swaro ELSV.

Other 8.5x available here that I haven't seen include the Opticron BGA SE 8.5x50, the RSPB 8.5x42 (cheap), and the Vortex Diamondback 8.5x50 (cheap) so can't comment on those.

David

Samandag, I am not sure what price range you are shooting for.

Thanks, Frank, I guess for a spare it's either look for something upto the quality of the NMX 8.5x45 and stick it in the truck, or look for something more than the Nikon and stick the Nikon in the truck. Perhaps the Bushnell may fall into the former category but I haven't seen it.

This I hadn't seen and thanks that's an interesting and very useful review.

The Bresser is available here and prices vary dramatically, best at present seems to be £387.50 + 20% VAT (iro USD$648.00), over 85% more expensive than the Nikon and considerably more than the already overpriced (here in the UK) Vanguard.

The big question is the Bresser 85% more impressive than the Nikon ? It would be useful to compare it and the Vanguard side-by-side as both now use Hoya glass. It seems a huge premium to pay for the benefit of ED glass.

Last edited:
I can't think of another 8.5x45 I've tried that gets close to the Vanguard for price. David

David, Almost too much choice, even for me :t: That's appreciated.

I'm limiting my view to 8.5x45, as that's where I am at the moment however some of your recommendations are worth further investigation.

The Bynolyt Albatross ED 8.5x45 looks like the best of the bunch, mid-market, although I could not find a UK distributor. Given the weight it's probably one for tripod users.

Kite I'd be looking to buy as eventual liquidation stock.

Perhaps I'll just get a spare NMX 8.5x45, it seems to be best percieved value here at present.

Has no-one handled the Bushnell ?

Samandag,

A couple thoughts on the price. Consider that, as I referenced in the review, the Bresser bares a striking resemblance to the higher end Minox models of a few years ago. The Minox sold for several hundred US dollars more than the Bresser was selling for. Here in the US the Montanas were selling for close to $900 US, if memory serves me correctly. They may have been priced slightly less. Your price of $648 US would be a steal on them here. At that price I would consider them an excellent choice.

I do have past experience with the Monarch X 8.5. It is a solid binocular that I think was a little overpriced when it first debuted. I wasn't fond of that metal rod they inserted between the open bridges but other than that I thought it was ok. Having said that I will say that the Bresser is at another level optically. The apparent brightness and CA control are at another level. I would suggest giving it a try. You certainly may end up leaving the Nikon in the truck.

Frank,

The Bresser Montana is certainly interesting ; I do need a long ER though and at 17mm it may be at my lower limit, I'll have to see how it fits.

The NMX was USD$340.00 and at that price point, for me, very good perceived value. In active use the centre rod doesn't get in way, but you either like it or you don't. I completely agree with you that when this bin was released five years ago the opening offer was aggressively priced, I think it was USD$1150.00 here, and it was well above my level of interest then. That's Nikon in a nutshell, but they still own the middle ground in binocular sales in the UK despite some odd global pricing. Many consumers in the UK would love to buy on price parity with Japan, or the US.

I appreciate that the Bresser would be a step above, certainly it's worth a look for apparent brightness. CA is simply not an issue for my use for this spec at dusk.

David (typo) kindly pointed out another discontinued 8.5, the Kowa Prominar XD 8.5x44, which reaches his high bar for sharpness. It is still relatively expensive here at £870.00 - £949.00 including tax.

The Vanguard Endeavor ED II, now this side of the horizon, is also an option if it comes in 8.5x45.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back