• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID, please? (1 Viewer)

GR Triever

Beginning birder, sorta-beginning photographer, beginning 'scoper... will you ID this bird for me, please?

Thanks,

GR

Attachments

• DSCN0066_web.jpg
    DSCN0066_web.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 244
I'd guess at female Housefinch... but I'd need to check up other NA Rosefinches when I have access to literature...I have memories of the bill shape with that convex culmen (upper mandible) being characteristic.

Makes sense to me since there are several males around; what was throwing me off was that dark beak... the males all seem to have a yellow-colored beak.

Thanks again,

GR

I would also go for a female House Finch! Are they common in your area? Here in New Brunswick they seem to have almost disapeared recently...

The streaks are way to clear (not blurry greyish streaks) and the beak too large for a House Finch. I would bet on a juvenile Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra).I would love to see another picture though. Jacamar

Jacques Amar said:
The streaks are way to clear (not blurry greyish streaks) and the beak too large for a House Finch. I would bet on a juvenile Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra).I would love to see another picture though. Jacamar

Excellent, it's not just me then! Thanks for having the courage to go against such confident replies Jacques. Ofcourse we could both be wrong still ;)

Chris

Gaga said:
I would also go for a female House Finch! Are they common in your area? Here in New Brunswick they seem to have almost disapeared recently...
I first noticed them about 3 months or so ago, and they are merrily eating us out of house and home. I'm seeing about 20 or so at a time...

Sorry Chaps.. yes its streaky... it almost made me think juv Greenfinch, but its a Carpodacus. It has a sunflower kernel in its bill which is making the bill look thicker than it is.

Attachments

• bf.JPG
    bf.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 194
Jacques Amar said:
I went back through my discard folder and found one I'd forgotten about; I guess since the other one is definitely a male House Finch, we can assume the one in question is a House Finch as well?

Attachments

• DSCN0064_web.jpg
    DSCN0064_web.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 180
Jacques Amar said:
I can see your point about the bill,Jacques,but would hesitate on range if the pic was taken in Kentucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back